Haley Royer ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Meet this week’s campus cutie, Haley!

The BasicsName: Haley RoyerYear in school: SophomoreHometown: Lexington, SCMajor: MarketingInterests: fashion, drawing, design, water sports and riding four wheelers  

Charleston Life

What are you involved with on campus? I am a member of the Chi Omega Zeta Gamma chapter at the College of Charleston. I am also a member of the Fashion Club. I hope to become more involved in the Autism Speak Club and the Watersports Club.

Favorite spot in Charleston: I love being on the beach, every since I was little I have always found the beach to be my happy place. Aside from the usual favorites like King Street, The Battery, and the countless beaches, I have grown fond of Mt Pleasant. I think it’s an adorable town with nice shopping and people.  

Best class: Last semester, I loved my sculpting class. It was challenging, but I came out with some awesome designs and a whole new interest in sculpting. This semester I would have to say its a close tie between Drawing and Costume Design. I love using my hands and letting my creativity come to life in front of me. These classes really push me to be artistic and always help me find new appreciations in the way I see the world. At FIT, I loved all of my classes, but my top there were my Advertising and Promotion and Marketing. Those classes were right up my alley.

Worst class: I would have to say the class I liked the least was probably Mass Communications. It was way too focused on memorizing pages of dates that to me didnt mean that much. I wish it would have been more applied.  

What has been your favorite CofC memory? I would have to say my favorite memory at CofC would be the day I got my bid for Chi Omega. I was so scared they wouldn’t like me and something drastic would happen and somehow I would end up with nothing, but it turned out I got exactly what I wanted and wouldn’t change it for the world. It was such a whirlwind of emotions.

Why Charleston? I went to the Fashion Institute of Technology for my first year of college, and after a year there I decided the city was not for me at that time. I really wanted the real college experience with sororities and sports. I ended up in Charleston because its only an hour and a half from home, and my mom grew up at Edisto Island. My whole childhood I have been in love with the coast and the south. All in all, Charleston was the perfect fit between a city feel and still being in the south on the beach like I was used to. It doesn’t hurt that Charleston is one of the top cities in the world. I feel like I have a good mixture of fashion, college, and being in an environment I am used to.

All About Haley

What has been your biggest accomplishment in life so far? I want to think that i have accomplished alot in life. I push myself to be my best every day and to go above and beyond to make sure I get the most out of life. All in all, I would have to say that becoming a motivational speaker for Eating Disorder Awareness and Positive Body image has been life changing. Getting to share my story and struggle with others is what has helped me develop into the driven young woman I am today. I think that my dedication for helping others has truly changed my life and opened my eyes to a whole new meaning of beauty.

What have you learned competing in pageants? Although I have only competed in a few pageants, I have learned a lot in my short two years. I have learned that I am more than just another girl going through the motions. I have found my calling in helping others and developed my platform for Eating Disorder Awareness and Positive Body Image. I have made countless lasting friendships, and seen girls who have gone through so much, but still would bend over backwards for others. I have found humility and learned what it means to put your whole heart into something. The hundreds of hours of community service and volunteer work I have done through pageants has taught me that giving back is what matters the most. I learned that it is easy to get caught up in the pretty dresses and makeup, but individual growth is what truly is rewarding.

Dream job: Ultimately, I aspire to design and own my own clothing line. I plan for my brand to encompass all that it means to be truly beautiful. I plan to take the fashion industry by storm, creating a brand that merges charity and fashion as one, embracing individual beauty. I plan for my brand to promote positive body image in young adults, while giving back to women entrepreneurs in third world countries. I want to be a young entrepreneur.

Hidden talent: Most people mistake me for a girly girl, and that I am, but I have grown up with alot of guys. I actually started riding four wheelers and dirt bikes when I was around four. I can keep up with the guys on my racing four wheeler. I also am pretty good at wake surfing, aka Skurfing.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In ten years, I will be 29. I see myself married with children, working on my clothing line as a lifestyle brand. I hope to be able to stay at home when my children are young and work from home. I will have my own boutique and hope to be able to serve philanthropically in my community.  

Life motto: Be YOU. It’s that simple. Be yourself and find beauty in all things. Everyone is beautiful and unique. Don’t let anyone tell you you aren’t good enough and take the world head on. You will only regret the chance you didn’t take.

All images are from Haley’s facebook page. 

I'm a junior Marketing major here at CofC, and I'm spending my remaining days at the College living life to the fullest. I'm a Her Campus Campus Correspondent, and a brand ambassador for a few fashion companies. I love traveling, the beach, decorating, and have an obsession with iced caramel macciatos. I watch the Kardashians religously and my all-time favorite movie is Legally Blonde. I'm a go getter and dream big. You can follow me on insta at @christine_pearson