This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s mind-blowing to believe that my first year of college is over. Despite the effects of the pandemic, shortened semesters, and no spring break, it feels like I just moved into my dorm room yesterday. So, since this year went by so fast, I thought I would take a minute and share some of my experiences, thoughts, and feelings about my freshman year of college!

I am first going to start by saying that I have no idea how I got here, but I’m so glad I did! College of Charleston is absolutely amazing and the perfect fit for me. On move-in day I was terrified as I traveled over 700 miles south from my home in New Jersey, not knowing a single soul here, even my roommate! I have lived in the same place my entire life and was moving away to live alone—like to do my own laundry and adult stuff! But, after that initial fear went away, not knowing anyone pushed me to talk with as many people as possible, and some of those first interactions turned out to be some of my closest friends.

Coming into freshman year during a pandemic was not easy, to say the least. Balancing both online and in-person classes, school work, and trying to create new friendships was hard, and there were many additional obstacles along the way that I had to overcome. However, I was not alone thanks to my support system here—shoutout to my roommate who is the most incredible human ever—and my friends and family just a phone call away at home. These obstacles did not stop me, though; I still had the best year!

My first year was also full of new experiences and trying new things! I performed in my first ever college dance concert alongside so many amazing dancers and friends, who I have grown so close to in only just a few months. I totally went out of my comfort zone and applied to become a writer for this magazine called…oh duh! Her Campus! Writing articles about topics and issues that I am passionate about has never crossed my mind; however, I am so glad to have found this organization and cannot wait to continue writing for the rest of my time here!

With all this being said, I am grateful for this year of immense growth and learning that I have experienced as a freshman at the College of Charleston. I cannot wait for the next couple of years in this beautiful city!

Kiley is currently a junior at the College of Charleston and pursuing a major in Communication and minoring in Dance and Marketing. She is from Ocean City, New Jersey, and loves the summer and going to the beach. Whenever she is not dancing, she is usually hanging out with friends and family, going on long walks, getting coffee, or listening to good music!