Getting Involved!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

In high school, I was an anti-joiner. In my 3500+ populated public school in the suburbs of New Jersey, I wasn’t even slightly interested in getting involved and meeting new people. While I did do things to put on the good ol’ resume, there was no organization I was truly passionate about. If you had told me four years ago that as a sophomore in college I would be both a campus tour guide and a director for my sorority, I would never have believed you!

As a freshman, I was extremely overwhelmed with all the possibilities and options that were available to me. I took the year to observe and explore different groups and programs without commitment, so by the time fall semester of sophomore year rolled around, I knew exactly what I wanted to immerse myself in. Luckily, as CofC students, we have access to such a diverse variety of options for student involvement on campus. Whether your interests lie in athletics, leadership, the arts, or even food, there’s an organization for you (and who isn’t interested in food!?).

I never in a million years thought that I would want to be a part of Greek life, but when I saw how much fun sorority girls and fraternity guys have on campus, I thought I would at least give formal recruitment a shot. Now, four months later, I can easily say it was one of the best decisions of my life. The leadership opportunities, networking abilities, and social involvement simply can’t be beat! CofC’s Greek life is so laidback that once you’re involved, it’s incredibly easy to dispel the stereotypes and really see what it’s all about. Right after my initiation I was even able to snag a director position on our board, so I can be as involved as possible! I’m honored to be associated with such an amazing group of women on campus.

Additionally, I am a Charleston 40 guide, which is another accomplishment that I’m extremely proud of. Ever since I toured CofC myself in high school, I knew I could see myself being involved in Charleston 40, the tour guide organization. Recruitment weekend was one of the most stressful and intense weekends of my life, but since then it’s paid back in spades. It’s incredibly rewarding to be able to show potential students and parents why being a CofC student is such an honor; I love feeling like I’ve really made a positive difference for our campus and admissions office.

Overall, we all are just so incredibly lucky to have so many options on campus. We are never going to be able to return this time in our lives, so don’t take it for granted! If you aren’t involved in something already, take a look through the list of campus organizations, read the student involvement emails, and go to a meeting or event; it’s a foolproof way to meet new people, learn new things, and discover something that you’re passionate about.

Also, guys – our campus even offers a Culinary Club, which is literally a group of people who meet up, go to famous Charleston restaurants, and eat together. Who wouldn’t want to get involved in that?

Lindsey is currently a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, originally from New England and New Jersey. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Communications. Her dream is to somehow work within the entertainment/fashion industry, whether it's writing, advertising, PR, supervising, etc. Other than acting as president of HerCampus CofC, she is also a campus tour guide, a VP on Panhellenic Council, a member of Delta Gamma, and a founding member of Committed to Charleston, among other things. She loves keeping busy and couldn't imagine it any other way.