This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Name: Gerald Williams

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Sai Kung, Hong Kong

Activities involved with on campus: Sailing, Intramural Soccer

Favorite TV Show: Game of Thrones

Where are you most likely to be found on campus: Either at the gym or athlete study hall

Three words to describe yourself: Ambitious, Lazy, Charming.

Where do you see yourself senior year?

“I see myself competing in a national sailing championship for C of C.”

What made you come to C of C?

“I mainly came because of the sailing. We have such an amazing program that I always knew I wanted to be part of. But also, I like the way The College is able to balance academic and athletics.

How is Charleston different from your hometown?

“The main difference is the infrastructure; I mainly live in the suburbs but downtown back home is pretty insane with all the buildings around. It’s like building a massive Lego city and you being that small Lego man at the bottom.”

What is it like to be an international student?

“You definitely get noticed, not by appearance but mainly the way you talk.”

Where do you see your sailing going?

“The main goal would be to qualify for the Olympic Games in 2020. But I am open to other possibilities.”

Are there a lot of international students on the sailing team?

“There are a couple of students from around the world, which makes the sailing team that much more fun.”

What is your favorite part about America?

“Mainly the girls.”

What do you miss the most from home?

“Probably the sushi. The sushi back home is life changing.” 

All photos courtesy of Gerald Williams.

Maura Lonergan is currently a Freshman at the College of Charleston. Born in Singapore and then living in Hong Kong, she loves to travel and is looking forward to going abroad. She is a student athlete majoring in Business. Her work background consists of summers coaching sailing, and two movie marketing internships with MTV and Paramount Pictures. Her love of creative writing and being involved with such a great company lead Maura to be a Her Campus High School Ambassador, and she is excited to continue to work with Her Campus throughout her college experience!