This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Martin Scorsese once said “Film is a disease. And I got it early on,” and boy, was he right. I was brought into this world by two people who would spend their Saturday mornings dancing around to tribal music and their evenings at the movie theater down the street from our San Marcos home. It was something I always looked forward to after a long week of school. If sharing movie popcorn and slushies was a love language, my parents had it.

This bug for film ran through my entire family. We have a director, a couple of actors, a production assistant, some fans, and me, the one that wants to put the music in the movies. It wasn’t odd for me to have this love for film in my family, because it seemed that everyone had that same love.

The older I got and the more friends I made, I realized that not everyone shared my family’s passion for movies. When we had nothing to talk about, we would talk about what was coming out the next month, but other families didn’t always do that. It shocked me to find out that some people didn’t have that movie magic in their life. So I did the best thing I knew to do, and that was introduce every person I knew to all of the movies I love. If you haven’t been exposed to the magic of film, this is the perfect article for you. Let’s get started with five of my favorite movies to make you say “OMG”.

Primal Fear

This 1996 release directed by Gregory Hoblit is about a successful defense attorney named Martin Vail (played by Richard Gere) who picks up the case of a boy (Edward Norton) who is known as the “Butcher Boy” of Chicago’s Archbishop. Vail’s idea of an easy case is short-lived when disturbing secrets of The Butcher Boy and the Archbishops are revealed.

Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

IMBd: 7.7/10

Gabb’s Thoughts: 9/10. This movie rocked my world at the age of 14. It’s one of those movies that leaves your jaw wide open.

Quote: “Why gamble with money when you can gamble with people’s lives? That was a joke. All right, I’ll tell you. I believe in the notion that people are innocent until proven guilty. I believe in that notion because I choose to believe in that basic goodness of people. I choose to believe that not all crimes are committed by bad people. And I try to understand that some very, very good people do some very bad things.”

Where can you watch it? Amazon Prime Video with a subscription!

The Sixth Sense

How could I not make an OMG movie list and not add Mr. M. Night Shymalan? 

The Sixth Sense was a 1999 release about a young boy, Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), who sees dead people. Cole never tells a soul until he creates a bond with child psychologist Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis). As the two grow closer throughout the movie their world is turned upside down when their truths are revealed.

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMBd: 8.1/10

Gabb’s Thoughts: 9/10. M. Night Shymalan always comes at you with a left hook in the last thirty minutes of a film and man, does he get you with this one. All I have to say about this movie is that it took me about a week to recover and a lot of processing. It is a must-watch in my book.

Quote: “She wanted me to tell you she saw you dance. She said, when you were little, you and her had a fight, right before your dance recital. You thought she didn’t come see you dance. She did. She hid in the back so you wouldn’t see. She said you were like an angel.”

Where can you watch it? Amazon Prime Video for 3.99.

Prisoners 

This 2013 release was directed by Denis Villeneuve and is about the abduction of Keller Dover’s (Hugh Jackman) daughter and her friend. On the case is Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal), who struggles to find enough evidence to grab a lead on this case. Out of frustration and fear, Dover takes matters into his own hands in the hope of finding his daughter.

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

IMBd: 8.1/10

Gabb’s Thoughts: 8/10. This movie is every parent’s worst nightmare. Hugh Jackman makes you feel every form of grief and gives the performance of a lifetime with this movie.

Quote: “Be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best. Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.”

Where can you watch it? Hulu and Amazon Prime Video with a premium subscription.

Saw 

James Wan’s 2004 release Saw is about the abduction of two men from completely different lives. Adam Stanheight (Leigh Whannell) and Lawrence Gordon (Cary Elwes) wake up to find themselves handcuffed to an old pipe in an abandoned bathroom. In order to leave alive, they must complete the puzzles that their captor, Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), has left them. If the puzzles aren’t completed, their last days will be spent in the disgusting bathroom they woke up in.

Rotten Tomatoes: 50%

IMBd: 7.6/10

Gabb’s Thoughts: 6.5/10. The first Saw is the best Saw, and I feel that a lot of people can agree with me. Crazy concept, and an even crazier thought process. The end of this movie will leave you in shock.

Quote: “I want to play a game.”

Gone Girl

Released in 2014 and directed by David Fincher, Gone Girl is about the destruction of Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) and Amy’s (Rosamund Pike) marriage. When Amy goes missing on their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick is left with the pressure of finding Amy while being daunted by the press. A sick game to Nick, this is the only way Amy can save what they once had.

Rotten Tomatoes: 87%

IMBd: 8.1/10

Gabb’s Thoughts: 8/10. This is every feminist’s villain origin story. Although I hope to never be in Amy’s position, Rosamund Pike does an excellent job at portraying every struggling wife’s fantasy of saving her marriage… or does she?

Quote: “It means I was basically a con artist. I met Amy Elliott seven years ago and I was transfixed. Amy does that. I was an average guy from an average place with mediocre aspirations, and I met this woman who dazzled me. And I wanted her to love me. I pretended to be better than I was. I made a pledge to her, when we married, to be that man. The man who tries harder. The man who thinks and acts and feels with as much passion as she does. The man who makes her happy. And I failed her. Instead of doing what was right, I did what was easy.”

Honorable Mention!

Se7en starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. An OMG list would not be complete without this cult classic.

Gabriella is currently a Freshman at the College of Charleston. She is originally from San Diego, California. She is currently majoring in psychology and minoring in film studies. Gabriella has a passion for all things music and film. Her favorite movie is Almost Famous and she believes everyone should love each other for who they are! Gabriella is a huge advocate for BLM, the LGBTQ+ community, and equality for all.