Five Color Combinations to Add to Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Ah, here comes the fall; it is a time for pumpkin spice lattes, falling foliage, and an updated closet (of course). As the seasons change, so should closet’s color palettes, waving goodbye to the bright hues of summer and hello to the deeper shades of autumn.

According to WGSN, the world’s leading fashion trend forecast and analysis group, the core colors for fall fashion this season should reflect the natural tones of the fall, gathered here in this article into 5 major categories for our CofC collegiettes.

1. Outdoor Green and Dark Espresso:

These two colors stand as primary essentials for this season, making them must-adds to the closet of the fashion-forward collegiette. The colors reproduce the image of a forest, creating a somber yet rich depth of palette sophistication. These somber and dark shades should be the key part of outfits for fall fashion this season. Collegiette’s sporting this one-two-punch fashion combo will impress all of the passers by.

2. Stone Gray and Off-White:

This color pairing is another vital piece of the collegiette’s fall fashion wardrobe. Together, these colors with pale shades of blue or brown re-create the stark yet cozy look of those foggy fall days when the clouds cover the top of the Ravenel Bridge. This look is perfect for the collegiette who wants to go to a local coffee shop and enjoy a hot drink with a good book, the perfect activity to do on such days.

3. Shades of Deep Blue:

Time to get out the dark-wash jeans and navy blazers, because deep, intense shades of blue are in this fall. These colors, when combined with a simple white accent produce a clean-cut and chic look for the collegiette who wants to pull off a professional look this fall. Dress it up with wool coats and blazers, or down with dark wash jeans with a dark top. Either way, these shades of midnight blue will impress everyone, creating a look that is ready to go out on the town, or wow your new boss.

4. Rose Pink and Gold Moss:

Add these sharply contrasting colors for a smart yet charmingly playful look this fall. The brilliant but deep yellow of the gold moss combined with the blushing pale pink is reminiscent of those beautiful fall sunsets here in Charleston, bouncing off the hues of Rainbow Row. This color combination is sure to turn heads this fall.

5. Maroon:

A final and absolutely essential color to the palette of all cougar collegiette’s this fall is maroon. The primary color of our very own campus, maroon has made an appearance this fall. This naturally occurring shade of red inspired designers from leaves and berries to add a look to the fall color palette that stands out. Pair this color with shades of brown, white, or green to create a fall look worthy of a true cougar.

These colors are must-adds to the closet of all fashion-forward cougar collegiettes, so look for them in the retail stores on King Street. Give yourself a day off, go to one of the many retail stores, grab some of these fall colors and give them a try. Stay fashionable and update those closets! 

Scott Harvin is a sophomore Communications major with a minor in International Studies in the Honors College at the College of Charleston. Originating from Sumter, South Carolina, he is thrilled to be able to call the wonderful city of Charleston his new home, where he cannot wait to watch the next three years of his life unfold. Other than his academic career at the College, Scott is also a tour guide for Charleston 40, a member of the Student Ambassador Program, a News Contributor for CisternYard News, and the PR and Marketing Assistant for Charleston Fashion Week. All of this can only mean two things: first, he knows pretty much anything anyone could ever want to know about the College and second, he never sleeps. Despite this, he still finds time to explore his passions for music, photography, and adventure, collecting vinyl records while traveling the south-east with close companions to root out the best experiences, restaurants, and events the world has to offer. He does all of this while pursuing his ultimate dream: becoming a journalist for a major news branch, preferably in New York, where he hopes to live out the American Dream. “You may call him a dreamer, but he’s not the only one.”