Finals Tip: Color Your Way To Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

We all remember the good old days of being in elementary school and getting a new coloring book from our families. I vividly recall being in my Nana’s living room after school one day in fourth grade. She told me that she had a present for me, and I was thrilled to discover that it was a brand new “Beauty and the Beast” coloring book. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

Do you want to relive some of your favorite childhood memories by coloring? Well, we have good news for you, collegiettes! In the past few years, the phenomenon of adult coloring books has really taken off. Coloring books are no longer just a child’s pastime–they’re for everyone! Coloring requires little to no inherent artistic ability.  It’s extremely fun and relaxing to sit for a few hours and lose yourself in between the lines of a beautiful page.

Over spring break, I got really into coloring. I went home for the week, and other than working for a few hours and having a couple of routine doctor and dentist appointments, I was looking forward to a week of relaxing and spending time with my family. My mom pulled out a few of her coloring books, and we would sit together, color, chat and eat at the kitchen table. Coloring is not only a great way to destress and allow you to stop worrying about school; it’s also an entertaining activity to share with your family and friends.

Image courtesy of Pinterest via K. Dotson.

Since I’ve been back at school, I’ve continued to color. Sometimes, my friends will come over and we’ll have coloring parties while listening to Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift music. It’s great bonding time and the best part is that I get to hang up all of my finished pages on my closet door. They make for awesome decorations and bring a pop of color onto my otherwise dull door. 

If you haven’t tried adult coloring books, we highly recommend them. We could all use some quality “me time” towards the end of the semester, right? Take care of yourselves, collegiettes, and make sure to relax amidst all of the finals stress!  Color your way to being stress free.

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.    
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.