This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Now that it’s officially time for Halloween, we are all going to be getting our fill of Hocus Pocus for the season. I thought I would provide a list of some essential Halloween movies that might not be on your radar to spice up your movie night this October.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) | Available on Hulu

This one is a classic film that I think everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. It is one of my favorites for getting into the Halloween mood; it always gets me up singing along with the characters. I was lucky enough last year to be able to see a shadow cast performance and it was definitely an experience I’ll never forget. There is a reason this movie has a cult following and I cannot recommend it enough.

Twitches (2005) | Available on Disney+

Twitches is a movie that I remember watching every Halloween when I was growing up. There’s just something about this movie that sets the tone for Halloween for me, most likely the nostalgia for Disney Channel Original Movies that came out in the early 2000s. I think what makes this movie special is it is not too scary but still adds a touch of thrill that comes with the aura that comes around every October.

Sleepy Hollow (1999) | Available on Netflix

Sleepy Hollow is one of the more scary movies on our list, which you wouldn’t think at first glance but it’s creepy for sure. Directed by Tim Burton, I wouldn’t say the spooky factor was surprising but it was a steady build to the end and then it just hit you with all the horror of Christopher Walken’s Headless Horseman.

It’s an unexpectedly good movie to watch if horror movies arent necessarily your thing — this has just enough thrill to send a chill down your spine this fall season when we can’t go visit a haunted house.

The Addams Family (1991) | Available on Netflix

Like many other movies on this list, I have a certain love of this charming movie. Just hearing the title of this movie has me snapping my fingers to the classic Addams Family theme. The plot of this movie is full of twists and turns that keep you engaged with the plot while expanding on the very well known characters and franchise. It’s a light-hearted film with just enough spooky elements from the kooky members of the Addams clan to make it suitable to watch this time of year.

Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire (2000) | Available on Disney+

Another blast from the past with this Disney Channel Original Movie, starring Caroline Rhea and Matthew O’Leary. This follows the classic Disney plot trope of the kids having to save the parents because they are oblivious to the suspicious acts afoot.

This movie is much more entertaining than I remembered it being as a child, it’s a wonderful family movie to watch when you want that classic horror movie vibe without the horror movie gore.

The Halloweentown Chronicles (1998-2006) | Available on Disney+

I had to add Halloweentown to this list because it is that essential to watch at Halloween. This series is so iconic that I couldn’t pick just one. They capture the nostalgia of our childhood with Kimberly J. Brown and Debbie Reynolds in the primary roles of young witch Marnie and her grandmother Aggie Cromwell.

What these movies do really well is expand on the world that is created in the first movie through various situations and stories told by Grandma Aggie, which is what I think makes them so special to watch during the month of October.

Honorable Mention: The Little Vampire (2000)

The version of this story that I grew up watching is currently unavailable on any streaming service, but I had to talk about it. This movie follows the story of young Tony Thompson, who is obsessed with monsters, as his family moves to Scotland. This is where he meets Rudolph, a young vampire who befriends Tony after having mistaken him for another vampire because he was dressed up as one in his bedroom. We follow the pair on a journey for a long lost amulet while being chased by a ruthless vampire hunter through the Scottish highlands.

I loved this movie growing up because it was a much more unique story than many other movies that would come on around this time. I would watch it every chance I got because of the charming story and characters. If you get the chance to watch this movie I highly recommend it.

This Halloween looks different than previous years without all the normal spooky activities. Hopefully, this collection of movies, helps you to expand your range of movies to watch this October, so you aren’t stuck watching Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas over and over again. 

Howdy! My name is Julia Brown, and I’m a senior studying Elementary Education with minors in Music and Sociology. In my free time, I like to listen to music, drink lots of coffee, and spot dogs on the street. I enjoy writing advice articles, music and movie reviews, and ways to make the most of your time on campus!