This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.
Major/Minor: Communication and International Business w/ French Minor
Hometown: Scotch Plains, NJ
Campus Involvement: PRSSA, Fashion Club, Circle K, Cistern Yard News, Intern in the Communication Department, and Occasional French Club Member

Why CofC? I chose CofC for the reasons most people did: the city and the weather! I grew up in the suburbs and always wanted something a little more exciting. Not only that but I think the fact that I can lay out in February speaks for itself!

Favorite class taken so far? My favorite class so far has been my Painting 1 class. Painting is something I have done for years, but I never really identified myself as having a style or a specific skill set. This class and my fabulous professor, Jane Winfield, helped me to find what I love about making art. I now see it as a highly accessible thing that shouldn’t be taken too seriously!

Self Portrait – Erin Dempsey

World Travels – Past & Future: When I was young, my parents were pretty big on vacationing. I had been to Mexico, Scotland, France, the UK twice, and Bermuda twice before I graduated high school. I think that that’s where my love of travel came from. Judging by my recent travels, it’s clear I can be a bit of a flight risk. I just got back from a week-long trip to California for Spring Break, which was awesome! I’ll soon be going back north to NYC for a weekend of shopping and museum hopping with friends. Once finals die down, I am heading to Prague and Krakow with the Communication Department! We’ll spend a month touring and exploring, and I will somehow get two classes while there! After returning to the States for the summer, I will head to La Rochelle, France for the Fall semester! 

Languages spoken? I speak French and English, obviously! 

Roadtrip, plane, or train? Roadtrip, all the way! Bring on the Dream Street and Aaron Carter CDs! (no shame)

What is your favorite trip you’ve ever taken and why? My favorite trip I’ve ever taken was to Paris in 2011. I was one of the only people in our group who spoke French so I served as a translator all week. I also got to absorb all of the sights and experiences that I had only seen or read about in movies and books, which was an unmatchable experience. I also ate bread at every meal for 7 days so that didn’t hurt!

What are you most looking forward to in your study abroad endeavors? I am most looking forward to meeting new people. I think that in any place there is always a certain norm for the way people think, talk, and act. It’s so easy for me to be lost in the culture of my current city, so meeting new people is super refreshing and eye opening! Also, meeting locals means great weekends of touring Europe and free places to stay whenever I return. I’m also looking forward to the bread…yeah, the bread.

Do you have any travel advice? Some of the best advice I have would be about packing. I’ve recently found that if I plan my packing around stable fashion pieces and specific outfits, I end up traveling a lot lighter and more efficiently. Otherwise, I just try to go into any travel experience with an open mind. You never know who you will meet, what you will see, or how plans will turn out. I have friends who have gone abroad and ended up spending days in the hospital after being bitten by a dog (true story). You can’t plan for everything, so it’s best to be open to whatever comes your way!

What is your ultimate dream job? My ultimate dream job would be to work at an international PR firm for fashion labels and designers! I really enjoy the fashion industry and have found my niche in PR. Being able to travel for these things would complete that package!

Travel along with Erin as she takes on NYC, Prague and Krakow, and La Rochelle in the coming months by following her on Instagram @erinedempsey!

Kaylee is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Franklin, Virginia.  She has a passion for all of the arts from writing to dance to fashion.  Hoping to one day pursue a career as a museum curator, she is planning to double major in Arts Management and Historic Preservation with a minor in Communication.  Outside of Her Campus, Kaylee is the executive assistant of the CofC Fashion Club and a member of Circle K.