This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

In just a couple of weeks, we will be reentering my favorite season: awards season! The Emmys will be airing a virtual ceremony on September 20th, so, to follow tradition, here are my predictions for this year’s winners broken down 3 ways: who will win, who should win, and who could win. First up in the series: Comedy.

Outstanding Comedy

The Nominees: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dead to Me, Insecure, Schitt’s Creek, The Good Place, The Kominsky Method, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, What We Do in the Shadows

Will Win: Schitt’s Creek

While I haven’t had the chance yet to see the entirety of the final season, I have read and heard from many who have watched it that Dan Levy and company did an amazing job of sticking the landing. A show like this, that catches so much fire in its final season, is very likely to take home the biggest comedy prize of the night (and well deserved it will be).

Could Win: The Good Place

I don’t remember the last time I watched the finale of a show that hit me as hard as this one did. Mike Schurr did such a great job wrapping up the story of Team Cockroach, and Emmy nominators have FINALLY recognized the talent and creatives of this show in the way they deserve. It could lead to an Emmy win — the perfect ending to an almost-perfect show. 

Best Actor in a Comedy

The Nominees: Don Cheadle (Black Monday), Anthony Anderson (Blackish), Ramy Youssef (Ramy), Eugene Levy (Schitt’s Creek), Ted Danson (The Good Place), Michael Douglas (The Kominsky Method)

Will Win: Ted Danson

If The Good Place wins any of the major categories, this is the most likely one. Ted Danson made the reformed demon Michael such a layered and likeable character, something that another actor may not have been able to do to the same degree (his delivery of “take it sleazy” alone should win it for him).

Could Win: Eugene Levy

The co-creator of Schitt’s Creek also made Johnny Rose the lovable patriarch and heart of the Rose family. The whole family dynamic of the Roses would not have worked if the person heading it didn’t have undeniable chemistry with every member of it, and Eugene had that. Plus, he’s a beloved comedy icon who has never won an Emmy before, so he could win this as a reward him for his whole career. 

Best Actress in a Comedy

The Nominees: Tracee Ellis Ross (Blackish), Christina Applegate (Dead to Me), Linda Cardellini (Dead to Me), Issa Rae (Insecure), Catherine O’Hara (Schitt’s Creek), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Will Win: Catherine O’Hara

What better way to honor a legend than to give her an Emmy for her most legendary role?! Catherine MADE Moira Rose and there is no one else who could have made this character as iconic as she is.

Should Win: Catherine O’Hara

I mean she HAS to! There’s no one else really who should.

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy

The Nominees: Andre Braugher (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Mahershala Ali (Ramy), Kenan Thompson (Saturday Night Live), Dan Levy (Schitt’s Creek), William Jackson Harper (The Good Place), Alan Arkin (The Kominsky Method), Tony Shaloub (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Sterling K. Brown (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Will Win: Dan Levy

Not only did he create, write, and direct the majority of Schitt’s Creek, he also portrayed the character who has been an inspiration to many, helping people come out to their families and find their identity. Like so many of the characters on the show, David’s journey would have felt so different had he not been portrayed by the man who was writing him the whole time.

Should Win: Andre Braugher

The fact that Brooklyn Nine-Nine gets so little Emmy love in the first place is perplexing, but I really don’t get why Andre hasn’t won for his delightful deadpan performance of Captain Raymond Holt. I don’t think he’ll be able to overcome the Schitt’s Creek final wave, but it would be great to see him win.

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy

The Nominees: Betty Gilpin (Glow), Yvonne Orji (Insecure), Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live), Cecily Strong (Saturday Night Live), Annie Murphy (Schitt’s Creek), D’Arcy Carden (The Good Place), Alex Borstein (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Merin Hinkle (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)

Will Win: Annie Murphy

The way she says “David!” alone should have won her an Emmy, but she really deserves an award for how she made Schitt’s Creek‘s Alexis Rose, a character who really shouldn’t have been that likable, one of the most lovable characters on the whole show. Alexis probably had the best character arc and it was because of how beautifully Annie Murphy played her.

Could Win: D’Arcy Carden

She really should have been nominated for her role on The Good Place last year, especially after the episode “Janets” where she played seven different characters at the same time, but it’s better late than never! Her portrayal of the not-a-robot was spot on, bringing humanity to what was essentially a walking Alexa. 

Next up: the Drama categories!

Full time student, part time awards show predictor, full time recommender of television shows, movies, and books.