This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s almost finals week. (like that even needs to be stated…)

What’s even worse?  It’s the week before finals week and professors are overloading our already overcapacity, summer-longing, day-dreaming brains with as much information and anxiety on tests, speeches, and papers as they possibly can before classes end.  And as many times as you may feel like giving up, sometimes you just need to escape to Coney Island on a subway, eat a hot dog, and spin on the tea cups until your stomach can’t take it any longer. 

Ok, so maybe that isn’t exactly an option here.  But you can escape to Folly with some of your best friends, eat a crepe, and enjoy the sun!  The truth is, sometimes we could all use a nanny like Molly Gunn from Uptown Girls to remind us the importance of being carefree and spontaneous – both in style and in life.  Here are five reasons to embrace your inner Molly Gunn, especially during finals.

1.  Slept through your alarm clock again?  No worries.  Molly goes from sleep to flawless in no time at all.  Your room is probably a mess right now, because who has time for cleaning during finals?  The easiest way to look like you took your time getting ready when you don’t actually have time to spare?  Throw on a sundress and pin back your hair, apply minimal make-up, and you’re out the door!

2.  If you can’t seem to find the right accessory for your outfit, step back and take a look around your room.  There’s sure to be something you can make wearable.  Take a note from Molly’s candle lampshade turned hairclip.  

3.  Still can’t decide whether to jump aboard the overall train? Molly Gunn says yes!  Overalls are a simple new trend to try if you’re up to it this week!  Venture to a local thriftstore to find your perfect pair – the fit and style is up to you!  If Molly has it her way, there better be some patches involved!

4.  She’s not afraid to let loose and dance it out a little.  Dance breaks are important when studying, and a dress that passes the twirl test is of even greater value.

5.  She’s an expert at turning lemons into lemonade.  Molly proves that when things go wrong, they can always turn right! Let’s just say maybe you burn your boyfriend’s jacket on accident while baking cookies.  You think it’s the end of the world, but you paint it a new color, add some new hardware and patterns and you’ve totally transformed an ok brown leather jacket to a one of a kind masterpiece!  (Remember this anecdote when you can’t seem to find the words to complete your final paper for your history class.)

We all have a lot to learn from this free and passionate character brought to life by Brittany Murphy.  Embrace your inner Molly Gunn this week and turn your mistakes into gold and dance your worries away.  Best of luck with finals!

Kaylee is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Franklin, Virginia.  She has a passion for all of the arts from writing to dance to fashion.  Hoping to one day pursue a career as a museum curator, she is planning to double major in Arts Management and Historic Preservation with a minor in Communication.  Outside of Her Campus, Kaylee is the executive assistant of the CofC Fashion Club and a member of Circle K.