Dress Well, Be Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

What’s ironic about the College of Charleston is that the campus is a mere block away from some of the best boutiques and stores in the city, yet you would have no idea if you crossed campus between classes.  Take a look around you and you’ll find girls adorned in athletic clothes from Lululemon to Nike, t-shirts, monogrammed everything, and baseball hats.  Not that we all couldn’t use a lazy day every once in a while, but every single day of the week just doesn’t seem necessary.  You can keep making all the excuses you want – but how much harder is it really to throw on a pair of high waisted cut off shorts and a summery geometric top, or even in one step slip on a flowy breezy summer dress?  And if comfort is your concern, then you’re buying the wrong clothes!  If the quality and fit are highly valued, the comfort will follow.  There’s no doubt Charleston girls have it down to a science when it comes to dressing up for special events and nights out on the town, but it seems our casual style could use a little reconstruction.

“Anyone can get dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their days off that are the most intriguing.”

– Alexander Wang

This week I challenge you to simply dress well.  There’s no pressure for risk taking or trying out new spring trends, but simply dress in something that makes you feel…awesome.  A teacher once told me that it is always important dress well on test days – because if you dress smart, you feel smart.  I one hundred percent, without any doubt, guarantee that if you dress in a way that you love and makes you feel great about yourself, your entire daily perspective will change!

Kaylee is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Franklin, Virginia.  She has a passion for all of the arts from writing to dance to fashion.  Hoping to one day pursue a career as a museum curator, she is planning to double major in Arts Management and Historic Preservation with a minor in Communication.  Outside of Her Campus, Kaylee is the executive assistant of the CofC Fashion Club and a member of Circle K.