Don’t Worry Darling Drama: Everything You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

If you have been on Twitter recently you will see that Olivia Wilde has hit the trending page again for her famous salad dressing. Who knew that a psychological thriller movie filmed in 2020 would still be creating celebrity drama today?  Here is some juicy gossip surrounding the cast of Don’t Worry Darling

Don’t Worry Darling was originally announced in July 2019 and Olivia Wilde was set to direct and star in the movie. In April 2020, Shia LaBeouf and Florence Pugh were announced as the leads. Everything was smooth sailing with everyone ecstatic to begin the new and upcoming project. However, in September of that year, Harry Styles was announced that he would take over the role previously filled by Shia LaBeouf due to scheduling conflicts. It was later revealed that LaBeouf was fired by Wilde because she wanted to “protect” the cast from his past behavior, as LeBeouf was accused of assault in December 2020. In August 2022, Shia LaBeouf denounces the idea of him being fired and claimed that he quit because “your actors and I couldn’t find time to rehearse”. LaBeouf then proceeded to air a video that Wilde sent him practically begging for him to stay on the film and that “Miss Flo” needs a wake-up call. 

In the mists of this, we see a relationship form between Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles. In January 2021, they were photographed holding hands together. The rumor began to spread that they were dating and some inside sources supported this claim. They were photographed together in public, and neither confirmed nor denied the rumors. Right after the premier of the film, it was said that the couple had called a quits, but a week later a photo of them kissing was released. It is believed that the two were having an affair with each other during the filming of the movie, since Wilde was engaged to Ted Lasso star Jason Sudeikis. During a presentation for Don’t Worry Darling, Wilde was served custody papers from Sudeikis. Sudeikis claims that he had no knowledge of how the documents were going to be delivered. Recently it has come out that Sudeikis suspected the affair and when he confronted Wilde about it she claimed that Florence and Harry were hooking up. These are speculations made due to the recent release of an interview with their former nanny. 

Florence Pugh is the star of the movie — that is clear seeing her standing ovation at the premiere. People began to find it odd that she was not promoting the movie at all when on previous projects she would. Well, we know that Olivia stated that she fired Shia LaBeouf to make Florence “feel safe”. We also know that when LaBeouf cleared the rumor about himself by leaking the video of Olivia saying “I think this might be a bit of a wake-up call for Miss Flo”. On Late Night with Stephen Colbert Wilde explained that she needed to “play mediator” between LaBeouf and Pugh and that she sided with Pugh. On Page Six, it is revealed that Florence was upset with Olivia for her affair with Harry. Also feeling a lack of professionalism on Wilde’s side with her disappearing to be with Harry. In an interview with Vogue, Olivia Wilde talked about how she wanted to make a movie about good sex, emphasizing that the movie is focused on female pleasure. Pugh had a different opinion about the sex scenes in the movie. In an interview with Harper’s Bazaar, she explains how she isn’t happy with the movie being “reduced” to its sex scenes. In the latest news between the two, it was said that Wilde and Pugh would have screaming matches on set due to Florence’s feelings towards Wildes’ actions. 

The Venice Film Festival. I never thought that I would see so much happening in one city. It was announced that Florence Pugh would not be doing press for the movie, but she would be able to attend the Venice Film Festival, even though she was not there for the first day to do press. When walking the red carpet the cast looks beautiful with no drama insight. Except for the fact that Harry and Olivia Wilde don’t even make eye contact with each other (but maybe I was the only one that noticed). The night went smoothly with a standing ovation. Oh! How could I forget about Harry Styles spitting on Chris Pine?  The rumors about “spitgate” were denied by Chris Pine saying “Just to be clear, Harry Styles did not spit on Chris Pine”. Harry also jokes about the incident at his concert in Madison Square Garden: “I just popped very quickly to Venice to spit on Chris Pine.” 

A topic that is rarely brought up when we talk about the Don’t Worry Darling drama is the cutting of Kiki Layne and Ari’el Stachel’s roles in the movie. Their two characters were incredibly valuable to the plot, yet the majority of their scenes were cut. No one has given a statement combating this comment made by Kiki Layne on her Instagram account. 

To think that there could be anything more to talk about. Well, there is. A couple of days ago Daily Mail released a video interview with the nanny of Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis. She claimed that at the end of 2020 Wilde would leave the family to be with Styles and it caused Sudeikis to start binge drinking. She claimed Sudeikis allegedly told her that she made her special salad dressing for Harry when she would go have dinner with him. Olivia responds to this by posting her “famous “special salad dressing recipe. 

Well there you have it you are now all caught up on the insane but incredibly entertaining drama of the Don’t Worry Darling film and cast. 

Hi! I am Madison Boone and I'm from Charlotte North Carolina. I am currently a freshman and I am majoring in International Business with a minor in International Studies.