Confederate Statues: Not a Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Adam Serwer wrote in The Atlantic, “To describe this man as an American hero requires ignoring the immense suffering for which he was personally responsible, both on and off the battlefield. It requires ignoring his participation in the industry of human bondage, his betrayal of his country in defense of that institution, the battlefields scattered with the lifeless bodies. . .” Serwer was referring to General Robert E. Lee, who is known for commanding the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia in the Civil War. This means that he should also be known for the deaths of countless American lives because they were black. To hold a high regard of Robert E. Lee, or any confederate statue in this case, is to defend slavery and inequality. Confederate statues were built to honor leaders and armies that fought for continued slavery. These people wanted to protect slavery, encouraging the continued presence of statues for this reason is unjust. Yes, the Civil War is part of our history, but this does not mean that we should celebrate it. That would be like celebrating Hitler’s Germany, as Gersh Kuntzman explains in the Daily News- it should be unfathomable. The initial idea of slavery is shameful in itself. It shocks me every day, that we are still fighting over a symbol of hatred, discrimination, and treason. If America is so great, why are these statues still present in America? A country full of dreamers and doers will not be taken over by hatred and bigotry. Gersh Kuntzman explains this well when he says, “These statues are not part of our culture. They are part of a racist effort to turn a segregationist, traitorous movement into a part of our culture” in his Daily News article “Americans should renounce Confederate leaders the same way Germans renounce Hitler”. It is disheartening to see our country fighting over something that should be so clearly evil. 

What happened in Charlottesville is something we should not be quiet about. I have come to learn that being quiet is a privilege. I did not grow up with these issues directly against me. As a white female, I have the privilege to not be involved in politics. These statues do not directly affect me. When I see Confederate statues I do not immediately think of oppression. In fact, I did not even understand the enormity of Charlottesville until I watched the VICE News episode covering Virginia. I was in awe by the news coverage. Specifically, how aggressive the white supremacists were within the video. The fury and hatred still in our country was not something I was fully aware of- I have the privilege of believing that “my” world will just keep spinning because I was not directly affected. Not standing up against these people is supporting them. Not writing about this issue would be supporting the racism that still faces our Country. 

We need to know the difference between what we are taught and what is right- unlike the White supremacists.