Wellness

College of Charleston’s Sigma Kappa: Walk to End Alzheimer’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

My second semester of college, I took a leap of faith and joined the College of Charleston’s chapter of Sigma Kappa. This sorority has become a huge part of my college life, and I love everything that it does for me. Sigma Kappa is an amazing organization, that supports some pretty great philanthropies–Alzheimer’s Association being the biggest. Before I joined Sigma Kappa, I knew almost nothing about the Alzheimer’s disease, and the more I learn about it, the more astonishing it is to me that I knew so little. Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States and is still growing. It kills more people than breast and prostate cancer combined.

Every year, the College of Charleston Chapter of Sigma Kappa, as well as many other SK chapters, participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s. This year was my first year walking, and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity. Although I am not personally affected by Alzheimer’s, I know many people that are, and I love being able to support them and such a great cause. This year, I was able to walk alongside my sisters and hundreds of other people who support, are affected by, or who themselves have Alzheimer’s. It was such an amazing feeling to be able to hear not how much money is being raised and what the money is going toward, but also to see some of the people who we were impacting personally.

Sigma Kappa made a five-year pledge to give $1 Million to the Alzheimer’s Association, and met that goal in under 2 years. I am beyond proud to be a part of Sigma Kappa and help to raise money and awareness for the Alzheimer’s Association among our other amazing philanthropies.  

I am a Sophomore here at the College of Charleston. I am currently working towards an Anthropology & Biology major with a minor in Crime, Law, & Society. I really want to go into the forensics field or something similar. I love self-help books, stress baking, and hanging out with my sorority sisters.