Charlestown Sounds Music Festival Coming to Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Mark your calendars for April 8th because the Music Farm is hosting a brand new music festival called Charlestown Sounds Music Festival. The festival will feature artists local to the Charleston area! The lineup is a “surprise” but we know for sure some artists playing will be Anfernee, Diaspoura, College of Charleston Gospel Choir, Man-Child, Contour, The Night Caps, Abstract and Speakerbox. This will be a musical experience you won’t want to miss out on! 

This event is incredibly unique to Charleston, especially to the College of Charleston, because it was created by one of our very own cougars, Coleman Ott with the help of his team. Coleman’s inspiration behind the festival was to create an event that could expand his work with Charlestown Sounds, celebrate local music and artists, and also unite the community through the power of music.

As an arts management and communications major with a focus on the music industry you could say music runs in Coleman’s veins and has become his world. He is a member of the Trippin’ Tones Acapella Group and the College of Charleston’s Gospel Choir, host of Cistern Yard’s Charlestown Sounds, intern at the Jazz Artists of Charleston and the Charleston City Market, as well as a volunteer with organizations like HEART Theatre Guild and Engaging Creative Minds. Coleman believes that music is his calling in life and hopes to use it to make a positive difference in the world.

Poster from TicketFly.

Coleman discussed the process of creating the entire event and while it has been a lot of work he says that “God has really opened doors up for opportunities.” And the excitement behind this event has energized him to keep going. His favorite part about the process was collaborating with incredible people who added to and helped him create his vision, including: Jeff Wagner the booking director at Music Farm,  Sophie Kreutz who designed the stickers for the event, the artists performing, Molly Ott who designed the poster, as well as his mentors Dr. Chandler at The College and Mary Beth Natarajan, the Executive Director of the Jazz Artists. The most exciting part about the event coming to life, Coleman says, will be seeing everyone else enjoying the music and watching the community coming together to celebrate music, love, unity, and so much more!

If you are a student or interested in creating your own event one day Coleman left us with some advice: If you’re going to do anything do it with dedication, don’t half way do things or just go through the motions. Be passionate and give your full 100%.  And, get involved in things you like and make connections. A network will build before you know it.

If you’re interested in the Charlestown Sounds Music Festival, you can get your tickets at the event’s website or purchase them at the door on April 8th.  

We’re excited and you should be too for Charleston’s own music festival with local artists and musicians at the Charleston Music Farm.

Hey, my name is Rebecca Steele and I am a sophomore at the College of Charleston-go cougs! I am majoring in Communications and minoring in Marketing; I am hoping to join the fashion and beauty industry in the future. I was born and raised in Fort Mill, South Carolina, and spent my time in dance classes, in musicals, and Future Business Leaders of America meetings. At the college I am currently involved with Cru an on campus ministry organization and I am a member of Phi Mu. In my free time here you can catch me brunching, walking to the battery, and swatching lipsticks on my hand at Sephora.