Carly Harward ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Name: Carly Harward

Major(s): Communication and Dance with a concentration in choreography and performance

Minor: Theatre
Hometown: Orangeburg, SC
What are you involved in on campus? 
I am involved in Greek Life, Dance Alliance, and Charleston Forty. I also work as an RA, an Orientation Intern, and am the Senior Customer Service Representative at the Office of New Student Programs. 
What have been some of the most valuable experiences you’ve had while at the college?
I have been given so many amazing opportunities during my time at The College that it’s extremely hard to choose just one. However, I think one of the most valuable experiences that I’ve had has been all of my involvement with the dance department. That department has benefited me so much not only as a dancer and a choreographer, but as an individual. Everyone in that department has pushed me past my comfort zone and to new places that I never even knew existed.  
Who has been someone you’ve looked up to during your college career?
I can’t really pin point one person that I’ve looked up to during my college career, but I tend to find myself looking up to people who are successful in their field. There is something to be said about someone who defies the “norm” or does everything that they can to achieve their dreams. 
What has been your greatest or most inspiring memory from being at CofC?
I think that my greatest or most inspiring memory has been choreographing for multiple shows at The College. I have been given amazing opportunities at The College and through my studies I actually discovered my love for choreography which is something that I had never done before. Just reflecting on how much I have grown in that field and how much everyone has supported me in this processes has only inspired me to work even harder. 

What advice would you give to upcoming freshmen?
Do what you love and do it all. Coming in to the college I had my eyes set on a goal that would make me successful, but not happy. I always put what I enjoyed to the side, however by eventually putting it first I have found success. I always say do what you love and the rest will come. 
What piece of wisdom or advice do you try to live by?
As selfish as it sounds, I always put myself first. I love to please others and do everything that I can to help everyone out, which often leads to me being burned out and unfortunately not performing everything to my best ability. I’ve had to learn the hard way that sometimes I have to say no for the sake of my sanity. 

What will you miss the most about CofC once you graduate?
The support. Everyone that I know here, the faculty, staff, students, everyone is so supportive. They want to see you succeed and they want to see you thrive. I’m going to miss all of this and the constant encouragement that I receive to be the best that I can possibly be. 
A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.