This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Born and raised in Fairfield Connecticut (in the same house that used to belong to Aaron Burr, the third vice president of the United States), freshman Brendan Geiling is a communications and political science major. Politically savvy, culturally experienced and well dressed, there is no doubting Geiling’s status as this week’s CofC campus cutie.

Favorite Hobbies:  Singing (I was in an acapella group for 4 years in high school) and photography. I’ve always enjoyed art but was never very good at it until I found my niche with photography. I really like developing film in different and offbeat ways.

Most random experience: When I was about five I slept through a drive to JFK, the airport, and the flight. I woke up with my family in the Cayman Islands. Even at 5 years old I was completely dumbfounded by the entire experience.

Encounters with famous people: When I was younger I did professional acting and I was once in Charles Dickens’ David Copperfield with Paul Newman playing my father. Since I was younger I didn’t fully understand the magnitude of working with Paul Newman, I had no clue he was one of the most iconic film stars of all time. Also, his wife — Joanne Woodward, was the creative director, who was a legend in her own right.

Shows you’ve been in:  I couldn’t even list the shows I’ve been in, although I no longer do acting professionally nor for fun — since I started when I was about 5 I’ve done 30+ shows ranging from large production musicals like Les Miserables to quietly understated dramas like Our Town or To Kill a Mockingbird.

Favorite movie: My favorite movie is definitely Gangs of New York. All of my favorite movies tend to star Leonardo Dicaprio, he is an unbelievable actor and I have never seen him falter. Historical movies are always my favorite, and the setting of mid-nineteenth century Tammany Hall era Manhattan really interests me. The movie really stands out for me however in the last 3 minutes when Dicaprio has a monologue that mentions how 100 years from now everything we know will be swept way, and it will be like we were never even here.

Aspirations: My aspirations change daily. As an actor I’ve always wanted to star in television. As a singer I’ve always wanted a record deal. However, I have also always desired to hold a political office.

What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day? Watch Netflix. Every now and then I watch a movie, but I mostly like getting really into a television series. In the past I’ve watched Weeds, Lost, Orange is the New Black, and Freaks and Geeks, but right now I’m really into The West Wing. It is about the president’s senior staff and is from the 90s and early 2000s. It is my favorite show to date, it has such comprehensive characters and such an interesting setting, I highly suggest it to anyone interested in politics.

Describe your perfect outfit: Coming from Connecticut I’d call myself classic preppy. None of that new Southern Tide or Southern Marsh stuff, but true preppy brands like Ralph Lauren, L.L. Bean, Barbour, or Patagonia is what you’ll find me in. The typical outfit you’d find me in would consist of a classic button down with my sleeves rolled, a fleece vest, colored chinos, and desert boots. I also wear a lot of classic plain baseball hats from Vineyard Vines.

If you could be anything what would you be? Right now, I’d love to be the White House Press Secretary. I find it any extremely interesting position that I have the right skill set for.

Day in the life: During the week I like to have a lot on my plate, once I sit down to relax I have a hard time becoming engaged in the day. Here at CofC I’m a senator in SGA and a member of PRSSA, which takes up a fair amount of my time. I also put a lot of work into school; I spend a lot of time in the library. At the same time however, I’m very social. I love hanging around my friends and exploring Charleston.

Political views: I only just turned 18 and have yet to vote in an election, therefore I am not yet politically affiliated. On several economic policies I fall Republican, but for the most part I side with the views of the Democratic Party. The three major topics I feel most strongly about are among the most controversial on the national stage, being abortion, gun control, and gay marriage. I am 100% pro-choice and pro gay marriage, I also think our nation needs to take drastic measures when it comes to gun control. The United States of American doesn’t even have a national gun registry, no one definitely knows how many legally acquired guns there are on our streets — never mind illegally purchased arms. A recent study concluded that America has the highest armed civilian population, beating nations like Yemen, a nation engulfed in civil discontent and violence. As far as 2016 goes, I think we all have a lot of time to make up our minds. I can’t necessarily decide whom I am pulling for, although I do side with Governor Martin O’Malley on many topics, I can certainly say I hope we don’t see Senator Rand Paul in the White House.

Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.