Book Recommendations That I Have Not Seen on Tik Tok!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Winter can be draining and cold and downright miserable. My favorite hobby for combatting this cold frigid weather is reading! Why go outside in the cold when you can transport yourself within a good book? If you are like me, your for you page is flooded with Book Tok. But for those who are unfamiliar, it’s a side of Tik Tok where popular creators post their book recommendations. It seems to me that you get the same recommendations over and over again, so here are mine that I haven’t seen on Tik Tok before.

1. The Hate List by Jennifer Brown: contemporary fiction about the aftermath of a school shooting and the challenges its caused through the lens of the shooter’s girlfriend.
  2. Mr. Malcolm’s List by Suzanne Allain: a classic regency romp (erotic historical romance..don’t lie we’ve all read one) like Bridgerton, but it’s quick and fast paced with enough flirty banter to make anyone swoon.
  3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: a classic novel that may be overhyped, but I don’t think so. Mr. Darcy can make us all believe in love and with the old language you feel transported back in time.
  4. Call Me By Your Name by Andre Anciman: a romance novel set in the 1980s in Italy which centers around two boys, one studying under a professor staying in his home and one the professor’s son.
  5. Under the Never Sky Series by Veronica Rossi: a dystopian series that revolves around a girl who was born into a society that lives through the TV screens and virtual reality and a man who is an Outsider and lives out in the wilderness which is deemed unsafe by the others. You physically won’t be able to put these books down once you start.
  6. Any of Rupi Kaur’s poem books: Home Body, The Sun and Her Flowers and Milk and Honey are beautiful pieces of poetry stitched together with simplistic illustrations. Rupi’s poetry relates to relevant themes such as gender, sexual assault, love, loss, and family.
  7. There, There by Tommy Orange: a fiction book that takes the perspectives of a dozen characters all of Native American descent living in Oakland, California. It’s beautifully written and all the characters fall into place with one another.
  8. Carrie by Steven King: for the horror fans I have Carrie on the list. This was the first Stephen King novel I ever read and I glided through it. The book is so much different from the movie, because of the direct access to Carrie’s thoughts as the atrocious actions happen.
  9. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: part of a dystopian society series which separates individuals based on the purity of their blood. This book is as addicting as it sounds.
  10. The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich: a romance novel in which two guys are bred to be “love interests” and spies for people on the outside the world. But what if they become their own love interests?

I hope you enjoy these suggestions if you’re in a reading rut or looking to mix it up!

Hey, I'm Jessie and I'm a Creative Writing Major at the College of Charleston. I'm a junior from the amazing DC area and I love traveling, the outdoors, music, and coffee. I'm a book fiend, literally it's a problem, and in my free time you can find me with my nose in any book I can get my hands on. Or at Buxton Books in Downtown Charleston where I'm employed. Writing is my passion and I love writing dark angry poetry and fun short stories.