The Best Mac and Cheese Recipe for All Your Comforting Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The holidays are breaching upon us and you know what that means; uncomfortable family conversations, and the end of semester terrors, all over some really good food. 

If you’re in need of something to bring to Friendsgiving or just in need of something warm and comforting in your life, here is the easiest homemade Mac and Cheese recipe to satisfy all your needs.

Ingredients:

One box of pasta of your choice

8 oz bag of sharp cheddar cheese or a blend of your favorites

2 ½ cups of milk

2 tablespoons of butter (i always add a little more)

2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour 

Garlic powder (skip this if you aren’t a garlic girl) 

1 teaspoon of salt or to taste

¼ teaspoon of pepper or to taste

Directions:

Prep: 15 min     Cook Time: 20-25 min     Ready In 35-40 min 

1. Boil and cook pasta for one minute less than the directions say. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Mix the above dry ingredients in a bowl. 

3. In a large saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir in 2 tablespoons of flour to make a roux.

4. Continuously stir as you begin to add 2 ½ cups of milk slowly. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until it begins to bubble. Allow it to bubble for one minute or so, and then remove from heat. 

5. Add most of the 8 oz bag of cheese, stirring constantly until melted.

6. Mix in cooked pasta. Add additional milk or butter until desired consistency is met. 

7. Taste test! Add anything you feel is missing! This is your comfort food! 

8. Pour mixed cheese and pasta into a casserole dish or pan that has been sprayed with Pam. 

9. Sprinkle leftover cheese on top. 

10. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees uncovered. 

Enjoy!

This recipe is what you make it! Eat it baked, eat it not baked, eat it straight out the pan! No one is watching. This is your life. You have all the power. 

Chynna Chan

C of C '19

International Businesss major and Spanish minor at the College of Charleston. Originally from San Diego, CA. Lover of Hot Cheetos and Mexican street tacos. Meditation advocate. Traveler. Foodie. Interested in saving the world.