This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

For some, having classes taught remotely has been a blessing. Many are taking advantage of this flexible time to either move to a new destination or spend it with loved ones back home. However, for many of us, online learning has become a headache. We are spending an excessive amount of time in our room staring at a computer screen, feeling almost trapped. Outside interactions and simply bumping into another person on the sidewalk while rushing to our next class can feel like years ago. Nevertheless, instead of going stir crazy, I have found myself completing my course work at various coffee shops across the peninsula. While each coffee shop has its own vibe, I have found that doing my work elsewhere has helped me stay motivated. Below I have compiled a list of my favorite coffee shops that have free wifi for you to check out and hopefully fall in love with as well.

Harbinger

Address: 1107 King St.

Favorite Food: Quiche & Salad

Harbinger, a once-hidden gem, has become increasingly popular amongst CofC students. Located on upper King St, the quant building offers a variety of pastries, sandwiches, sweets, and, of course, coffee. When you first enter the shop, you’ll be greeted by friendly staff and the delicious smell of freshly baked cookies. If you continue to walk past the cash register and through the doorway, you’ll see a seating area filled with rustic wood and hanging plants.

Clerks Coffee Company

Address: 181 Church St.

Favorite Food: Avocado Toast

Clerks Coffee Company, located right off of Market Street, is an extension of the Emeline Hotel. With a vibrant, clean atmosphere, Clerks’ menu offers a variety of breakfast and lunch options. The coffee shop is filled with communal tables, large comfy chairs, or independent tabletops. Personally, my favorite location to attend zoom class due to its high-speed wifi and accessible outlets. Clerks, although off the lobby of the Emiline, is always filled with students, tourists, and sometimes even dogs!

Second State Coffee

Address: 70 Beaufain St.

Favorite Food: Croissant

Second State Coffee’s location, which is a five-minute walk from the College of Charleston’s campus, makes it a great place to stop in and study between classes. Although small, Second State offers an upbeat vibe, always playing the best music to study to. Second State offers a variety of seating options, whether it be a long communal indoor bench, hightop bar, or small tables with cushion seats, you can never go wrong. The bright coffee shop filled with floor-to-ceiling windows is a great place to stop in to get a few assignments done.

Mercantile & Mash

Address: 70 E Bay St.

Favorite Food: Chicken Biscuit 

Mercantile & Mash, although better known for their brunch, is a great place to settle down and get work done. Sometimes filled with families or business workers, there are almost always CofC students buried nose deep in their classwork. Mercantile is definitely the biggest among all other coffee shops mentioned, so you will never have an issue finding seating! Although a drive away from the College of Charleston’s campus, Mercantile has a large free parking lot out front. They even have picnic tables out front with umbrellas if you’d prefer a quieter setting…and yes, the Wifi works out there too!

Iris Neubecker is a junior at the College of Charleston, pursuing a degree in Communication and International Studies. Originally from Boston MA, Iris enjoys finding the best coffee shops in Charleston to study at, food photography and chasing a good sunset. Iris is currently planning a month long road trip across the USA!