Life > Experiences

Attention College Freshman: Maintaining High School Friendships In College Isn’t Hard Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Your highly anticipated high school graduation came and went. You just spent all summer buying things for your new dorm, signing up for classes, and texting with your soon to be roommate. Move in day flew by and before you knew it, you were so busy with your new friends and course load that talking to your friends from back home happened less frequently than you wanted.

This is completely normal, but there’s no need to worry because maintaining high school friendships doesn’t have be stressful. We have an advantage that college kids in the past completely lacked: the convenience of cell phones. We can text, Snapchat, call, tweet or just about anything else, from wherever we are. So grab your charger, connect to the fastest Wifi, and read through these easy tips to stay in touch with your besties.

1. Every Detail Counts

These people once knew every little detail of your day, don’t stop sharing now! It’s important to give little updates about what’s been going on. Only sharing the big things can seem good enough, but in the long run, it’s the little details that mean the most.

2. Share Both The Good and The Bad

Something a lot of new freshman struggle with is comparing themselves to others based off social media. It’s so easy to look at what a friend from high school posts and jump to a conclusion, but it’s important to know the reality of every situation, especially if it’s a close friend.

3. Call, Even If You Have Nothing To Say

You don’t have to wait for a major life event to pick up the phone and chat. You never fully know how someone’s day is going if you’re not with them, so call for the purpose of checking in on them to show how much you care!

4. Set Reminders For Birthdays and Special Occasions

Remembering birthdays seems simple (especially with all the inevitable Instagram birthday posts.) Although, with the craziness of the school year you may not realize until the day of if you didn’t have a set way to remember! Sending a gift or care package off a few days before is also a cute and thoughtful way to show how much you are thinking of them, even when you’re miles and miles apart.

5. Support Them By Reminding Them That You’re Only A Phone Call Away

Even when things are going well, make sure to remind your friends that you’re there to talk whenever they need it. You never know when they’ll want someone to vent to or comfort them while they cry.

Just because distance gets in the way does not mean that your friendships have to fade. With the advancements in technology, there’s nothing standing in your way of keeping in close contact with your friends. Remember to not neglect your past friendships, contact your friends often and get ready to plan your reunion!

Hi! I'm a freshman at College of Charleston planning on majoring in Communications. I love anything related to Pop Culture, so reading and writing about it are my favorite things to do!