Ansley Pope ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.
 This week’s campus celebrity is Ansley Pope! He is very involved on campus and his passion has led him to be involved with the Bonner Leader Program. In his spare time he enjoys working with Girls Rock Charleston. 

Name:Ansley Pope.

Major: Women’s and Gender Studies

Hometown: Aiken, SC

Tell us about your spirit animal?

Considering I am not Native American, I cannot claim to have a spirit animal since that is a form of appropriation. However, my favorite animal that I currently identify with would have to be a butterfly. Transformation is a beautiful thing… isn’t it?

What are you involved with around campus?

I wear quite a few hats on campus. I am a third year in the Bonner Leader Program, a student worker in the Career Center, and a member of the Gender and Sexuality Equity Center. Over the summer, I worked as an orientation intern for my second consecutive year. I’m also a teaching assistant for Kristi Brian’s dialogue class on Race, Sexuality, and Diversity (WGST 320). Last semester, I worked closely with the Center for Civic Engagement as an Alternative Break Site Leader and Leadership Board Member… in my spare time, I love a good rally, protest or diversity workshop. 

What is a Bonner Leader?

The Bonner Leader Program is a four year leadership development program that encourages students to actively engage in the community through direct community service. Students are expected to work with a non-profit that they are passionate about and complete at least 300 hours of community service over an academic year. Through this service we gain professional and personal skills that are beneficial to our post-undergraduate experiences. We as Bonners also choose to be active citizens and educate ourselves on social justice issues that impact our community… It’s definitely a group of people I can call family, and this program has shaped my college experience. 

What was your favorite part about being an orientation leader?

My favorite thing about orientation would have to be the fact that you either have one extreme or the other. It’s either a fast-paced or very slow day. It’s either needing to be completely empathetic about a situation or not having to do so. The only thing constant about orientation is the sweat and the amazing amount of support. I enjoy meeting a plethora of people, some of whom become very good friends. Most of all, being an orientation intern allows me to work on my adaptability, flexibility, and empathy, which are a few components of leadership that can be greatly under-appreciated. 

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I do not know where I see myself in five years. Finishing my time in graduate school, I guess?

What is one thing you wish you had known before you came to college?

I do not think I would change a thing when it comes to my knowledge as an incoming freshman. I thought I knew it all, but I find that even to this day I am still learning and evolving. 

Where is your favorite place to study?

My favorite place to study will probably be the third floor of Addlestone Library, preferably Study Room 329. If I really need to get work done I find myself going to the Public Library to study.

*all pictures are from Ansley’s Facebook. 
Originally from North Carolina, Mary is a sophomore at the College of Charleston. Mary is a Women and Gender studies major and is very passionate about women's issues and politics. In her free time she likes to read, watch Netflix, write and hang out with friends.  When she graduates she hopes to work for a non-profit in Washington, DC and also write for a Magazine.