This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Name: Angel Mathis ’16

Major: Communication

Minor(s): Creative Writing & Hospitality and Tourism

Hometown: Myrtle Beach, SC

What are you involved in on campus?

I am involved in Student Alumni Associates, which is a prestigious, volunteer organization that works with both the College and the College’s Alumni Association. Also, CisternYard News, Literati English Club, College of Charleston VolunteerCorps, Omnicron Delta Kappa (Leadership Honor Society), Phi Eta Sigma (First Year Honor Society), and CHAT (Club of Hospitality and Tourism). In the past, I have been involved in Dance Marathon, College of Charleston’s Higdon Student Leadership Center’s LeaderShape program, HerCampus, and College of Charleston’s Center for Civic Engagement Alternative Break. I also studied abroad last semester in the Netherlands through an exchange program with the College.

What leadership positions do you hold in your organizations?

I am currently a feature writer for CisternYard, co-president of Literati English Club, and member of the Traditions Committee for Student Alumni Associates. In the past, I have been Co-Marketing Chair as well as Vice President for Literati English Club, a member of the Public Relations Committee for Student Alumni Associates, a featured writer for HerCampus, and a Service Trip Leader for College of Charleston VolunteerCorps.

As a communication major, what do you hope to accomplish once you graduate?

Over the next year I hope to have become a published writer, have traveled to new places, and have challenged myself to be more open to all life has to offer (which is sometimes just as easy as saying “yes” or “hi”).

What impact do you hope to make one day?

I want my impact – in however fashion or through whatever career – to be of listening, loving, and laughing… the three things the world needs more of.

Who is someone you look up to?

Almost everyone, because when you’re under 5’2”, you sort of don’t have a choice in the matter… but, seriously, I would say my grandma granny. She taught me that kindness is the universe’s language – the deaf, the child, the foreign language speaker, the blind, the mute, the eldery, the parent, the teacher, the friend, the stranger – they can all understand it. No matter where you’re from or with whom you’re interacting, kindness will always speak louder than anything else. I’ve taken this philosophy to heart – be kind above all else.

Why did you decide to come to CofC?

In all honesty, I decided to come to the College, because it was in state, was close (but not too close) from home, and was in one of the most beautiful cities in the country. I fell in love with the College, however, because of its passionate professors, the excellent opportunities for students to learn outside the classroom, and, yes, because there is always beauty to be found outside on this picturesque peninsula.

What is the thing you love the most about campus?

All the trees. They are nature’s historians. When I walk through Cougar Mall, sit outside the Cato building, have a lunch break in Stern Gardens, or take a stroll through the Cistern, I am surrounded by trees that are hundreds of years old. It’s sort of overwhelming to think of how much history, how much love, how much tragedy, how much humanity these trees have seen – but I love it. It grants me a lot of perspective.

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.