Alternative Thanksgiving Break Ideas in Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

While Charleston is typically bustling with student life and tourists, the city might as well feel like a ghost town the day after everyone leaves for Thanksgiving break. However, with Thanksgiving and winter breaks so close to each other this semester, more out of state students are staying in Chuck for Thanksgiving than usual. So what should you do if you’re one of those kids who’s saving money and airline points this upcoming month? I have a few suggestions for you to make Thanksgiving as great as ever, even without Grandma’s famous stuffing and pumpkin pie.

• Roadtrip! Do you have any family or friends in nearby cities or states? Even if they’re extended family, or just family friends, this year might be a great time to reach out and see if you can spend the holiday with them. It might be a little bit awkward if you don’t usually see them at home, but it’ll make for great stories and interesting memories.
  • Video-chat with the fam back home! Even if you aren’t able to actually be there in person at the long dining room table, see if you can Facetime or Skype while everyone’s gathered around (if your parents aren’t tech-savvy, ask a cousin, or an innovative aunt). This way you’ll be able to share the conversation that you would have had with everyone, and still feel like you’re a part of the Thanksgiving tradition!
  • Feeling active this break?  Check out Charleston’s own Turkey Day Run, now on its 36th year.  This annual 5k (3.1 miles) takes place at 7 a.m. the morning of Thanksgiving.  While running a road race may seem daunting to some, now is the perfect weather to get out there and start practicing!  
  • Take a break altogether. For us, this year Thanksgiving marks the end of the semester, right before the beginning of finals week. Chances are, you’re pretty burnt out. Rather than feel sad and melancholy about not being home for Thanksgiving, why not take the opportunity to rejuvenate and de-stress? Sleep all day, catch up on Netflix, and order in take-out (because even on Thanksgiving, when are you not in the mood for Chinese or pizza?) Then, you’ll be all rested up for Black Friday- and where better to be for retail therapy than in Charleston?
  • Lastly, and my personal favorite, Friendsgiving. Like I said, more CofC’ers than usual are going to stay in town for the holidays this year. Ask around, and I’m sure you’ll find a decent number of your friends are also staying local. Organize a Friendsgiving potluck where everyone makes and brings a traditional Thanksgiving side, and you all chip in to bake the turkey together. I can’t imagine a better way to make unique, bonding holiday memories, and you’ll be able to create your own family experience (without being asked why you don’t have a boyfriend yet).

Even though I’ll be without my family this Thanksgiving for the first time ever, I’m determined to make it a holiday to remember, right here in Charleston. You can too! Let us know if you’re going to be in town for T-Giving, and what your plans are.

Lindsey is currently a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, originally from New England and New Jersey. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Communications. Her dream is to somehow work within the entertainment/fashion industry, whether it's writing, advertising, PR, supervising, etc. Other than acting as president of HerCampus CofC, she is also a campus tour guide, a VP on Panhellenic Council, a member of Delta Gamma, and a founding member of Committed to Charleston, among other things. She loves keeping busy and couldn't imagine it any other way.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.