This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

No one was expecting 2020 to be put on hold by a pandemic…but now that you have some extra free time, here are some books to read while social distancing!

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything is about a girl who never leaves her home…like ever. She’s pretty much allergic to the entire outside world but begins to question things when a new boy moves into the house next door. This is a super cute contemporary novel that was also recently made into a movie. Hopefully, the main character’s life will make you feel a little better about your own quarantine situation and keep you entertained!

Dry by Jarrod & Neal Shusterman

Written by a father and son duo, Dry is a realistic fiction novel that explores a drought and water shortage in California. This story is a little too accurate in the way it explores our government’s response to crises. Told from a variety of perspectives, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat and have you thinking up solutions to some of our world’s biggest problems.

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

For those of you who are more into non-fiction, The Ghost Map recounts the London cholera outbreak of 1854. Very relevant to our current pandemic, Johnson discusses the evolution of epidemiology and advances in medicine that resulted from this. I had this book as assigned reading for a class and ended up really enjoying it. I think you will find it very educational and engaging.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

So maybe after COVID-19 spreads throughout the world, the survivors will develop superpowers? Well, that’s pretty much the premise of The Darkest Minds. This book features an awesome group of friends on an epic road trip as they try and navigate the new realities of their world.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Illuminae is told entirely through mixed media, from emails to journal entries to security footage. The unique format makes it easy and quick to read and keeps you flipping the pages. Join our characters in the future as they face life-or-death scenarios in space ships. Also, there may or may not be a disease outbreak on the ships. Just to stick with our quarantine theme here. 

Again, But Better by Christine Riccio

As in, let’s do 2020 over again, but better. Did your study abroad program get canceled? Well, you can live vicariously through Shane in Again, But Better. This wonderful story is very relatable for all of us college kids and it’s a lot of fun to follow Shane on all of her adventures. 

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

This story starts off with our main character stuck in an asylum for 264 days. It makes me feel a lot better about my 2 weeks. I think if we are trapped inside for 264 days we will all definitely go insane. Follow the main character on her action-filled journey to stay alive and gain control of her powers.

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Another one by Neal Shusterman because his books are just that good. So another possible outcome of this virus is that some insanely smart scientist cures death. A little far-fetched, but possible. In Scythe, the human race has conquered death and the only way people die is if they are killed by a Scythe. Our main characters in this story are in training to become the next generation of Scythes. Yet they soon find out that their utopic world is far from perfect.

The Martian by Andy Weir

The motto of this book could be “at least you aren’t Mark Watney”. In The Martian, Watney is left by his crew on Mars after they thought he had died. While this scenario is certainly grim, he learns how to survive on Mars against all odds and keeps his great sense of humor. Hopefully, he gives you some inspiration and determination to tough out this quarantine. The movie with Matt Damon is also really good if you want to give that a watch!

Hopefully, at least one of these sparked your interest and you are able to pick it up soon! Try and support your local bookstores through online orders and deliveries during this difficult time. Also, check online to see if your library has any online book borrowing resources. Kindles, Nooks, and audiobooks are some other good ways to enjoy these stories. Happy reading!

Hello! My name is Corey Chamberlain and I am 19 years old from upstate New York. I am currently a sophomore at the College of Charleston and I am studying English and Secondary Education. Traveling is an important part of my life and I have been to 10 countries so far and plan on exploring more in the future. In my free time you can usually find me reading a book at the beach or hanging out with friends and family!