8 Things to Do in Charleston This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Summers’ in Charleston are filled with beach trips, warm weather and tons of local events.  If you’re sticking around this year, I bet you’re starting to plan out what all you’re going to do this summer.  If you’re wanting to keep it local this year, check out these awesome events.

Spoleto Festival

From May 26th to June 11th, Charleston will be taken over by local, national and international artists–both established and emerging.  The festival will showcase work from different genres and artists from around the world.  A complete schedule of events can be seen on the festival’s website.  

Tall Ships Charleston

The festival, running from May 19th to May 21st, will showcase boats of the past, present and future at the Old Charleston Navy Base.  In addition to enjoying maritime history and presentations, event goers can enjoy a food truck festival, live music and events for families.  

Charleston Riverdogs Baseball Games

Don’t miss out on seeing Bill Murray’s team play ball this summer at the Joseph P. Riley stadium.  Get yourself some ball game fare and indulge with some drink specials throughout the summer.  Also, don’t miss out on dog days at the park!  Tickets can be purchased at the stadium or on the team’s website.  (Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to see the Columbia Fireflies and Tim Tebow play at The Joe too!)

Annual Charleston Greek Festival

Make your way to the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church on Race Street on May 12th through the 14th for a chance to experience Greek culture through food, music and fun.  Cost is $5 for the event and a complete schedule can be seen on the event’s website.  

4th of July Blast at Patriots Point

Purchase tickets to celebrate Independence Day on the USS Yorktown and enjoy drinks, music, food and fireworks.  Tickets range from $35 to $100 and can be purchased on the event’s website.  If you’re wanting something that doesn’t cost money to ring in Independence Day, the fireworks can also be seen Waterfront Park and The Battery.  

Charleston Battery Games

Grab a friend and head over to Blackbaud Stadium for a chance to watch Charleston’s local soccer team kick it.  Tickets can be purchased at the stadium or in advance on the team’s website.  Don’t miss out on dog days at the stadium and drink specials that run throughout the summer.

Charleston Farmers Market

Make your way to Marion Square every Saturday morning during the summer to purchase fresh, local produce and food from local vendors. Take a seat on the grass or in a chair and watch local bands and dogs play during the weekly event.  More information about vendors can be found on the event’s website.  

Party in the Park

Don’t miss out on the free weekly concert series put on by 103.5 WEZL starting June 6th.  Artists include Easton Corbin, Granger Smith, Tyler Farr and many others.  Get there early and carpool because there is limited parking and places to sit.  For a complete list of artists and places to park please visit the event’s website.   

Summer in Charleston is full of events and awesome places to go.  Have fun this summer with free local events and get a chance to experience all that the Lowcountry has to offer.  

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.