8 Steps to Staying Healthy This Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Yep, it’s that time of year again.  Dirty tissues, Emergen-C, long naps, oranges.  When I saw that my roommate had barely moved from her bed all day (mind you, it was four in the afternoon,) I knew something was wrong.  When she woke up, she talked to her mom about the Mucinex and Emergen-C that she had taken that day, and also told her about her– god forbid– sore throat.  Being the daughter of a germaphobe and professional germ fighter, I called my own mom, and she administered me a cocktail of pills and vitamin supplements and told me to stay out of my dorm as much as possible – but that to no avail.  A few days later, I stayed in my bed for most of the day.  And now, almost a week later, though I feel a little better, I still have to reach for my tissue box.  And though I have been able to go to class and carry on with my life, I can safely say that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  The sad truth is, once you get a cold, you have to wait it out.  There are some medicines that are good for taming the symptoms so you can carry on with classes and such, but the postnasal drip remains.  So, what’s the best way to cure the cold?  That’s right, ladies… it is to never get it in the first place.

So, here are some steps to never becoming sick, and possibly living forever:

• 1. Wash your hands- Before you eat, after you eat, when you leave your dorm, when you come back to your dorm, when you go to bed, when you wake up, after you go to the bathroom, after you touch a door knob, after you touch a railing, after you brush your teeth, or better yet, before you brush your teeth, after class, before class… you get the picture.  You cannot do this too much.  Also, make sure that you do it for at least 20 seconds– at the summer camp where I work, we always made the campers sing Happy Birthday as they scrubbed their hands.  Your hands may become dry and flaky.  In that case, get some lotion.
  • 2. Avoid touching your face- I know, it’s hard.  I am the classic rest chin-in-hand-in-class girl.   We do it more than we realize, but try to catch yourself and avoid it as much as you can.  Especially around your mouth, nose and eyes.  So, don’t do this unless you’re putting on makeup or something like that (and, in that case, you should be fine, because you’ve washed your hands, right?).
  • 3. Get some sleep- This means a full 8 hours.   I am not a pro at this either, so I understand, but I do when I can.  Just don’t procrastinate, get your work done, and know your schedule.   
  • 4. Stop stressing- Studies show that stressing too much can weaken your immune system.  So take study breaks when you can.  Listen to some meditative music; watch some television; read a book.  Just relax!  It makes life better anyway.
  • 5. Get some exercise- This is also a good way to relieve stress, which strengthens your immune system.  So, go to the Stern Center and grab yourself a treadmill.  Hate the gym?  Charleston is a lovely city to walk around in!  So grab a friend and explore!  (Also, there aren’t any hills in Charleston, so it’s easy walking!)
  • 6. Reduce your alcohol consumption- Think of your immune system as a group of ninjas; do you think those ninjas would be better fighting off some wicked germs when they are drunk or hungover?  Absolutely not.  So stay sober as much as you can.  Or, at least limit the amount of alcohol you consume when you go out.
  • 7. Laugh – This is the most fun instruction.  Spend time with a funny friend, catch a hilarious improv show at Theatre 99, or watch a funny movie.  Studies show that those who laugh more tend to have stronger immune systems.
  • 8. Take some vitamins- Vitamin C and Echinacea are my favorites.  Both of them are available at CVS in a daily tablet form.  I also recommend the CVS brand AirShield gummies.  They contain Echinacea and Zinc – and, they’re fruit-flavored gummies!  What’s not to love?

While all of these help to reduce your chances of getting a cold, they do not guarantee your chances of survival.  College makes it especially hard to avoid germs because we live in such close quarters.  So do the best you can.

For those of you, like me, who are recovering slowly, or have just gotten this horribly pesky sickness, nap when you are tired, drink lots of water, try to chill out a little bit, and, if you don’t want to miss class, then take many vitamins such as Echinacea, Zinc, and Vitamin C.  Also, take a DayQuil or Tylenol (Do not take both of these! Take one or the other! I have made that mistake before and I can tell you that it is not fun.).  Also, ColdEeze lozenges are– disgusting, yes– but awesome at reducing the time you are sick and minimizing the symptoms of a cold (these are also available at CVS).

Happy Cold and Flu Season, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Alex is a sophomore in the Honors College at the College of Charleston.  She majors in English with a concentration in creative writing.  In her spare time, she enjoys writing poetry, fiction, and songs, reading, drinking her own body weight in coffee and tea, playing guitar, singing, and enjoying the great outdoors!
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.