8 Important Things I’ve Learned Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Freshman year is finally coming to a close and it has gone by faster then I could have ever imagined.

As most college freshman will tell you their first year of college was amazing, but it also come with its challenges. Adjusting from high school to college can be a huge transition and this year has definitely been one where change was happening all around us. I’ve moved to a new state, rushed a sorority and experienced living in the freshman dorm.  I’ve experienced dating guys, going to college parties and meeting new people from all over the country.  But I’ve learned quite a few important things through these experiences.

1. Be open to meeting new people.

Coming to a new school can be scary but if you don’t get out there and meet new people you’ll miss out on some great friendships you could make.

2. Get out of your comfort zone.

I went to high school at a small private school in Ohio and now I go to a liberal arts school in a city. You could definitely say that I was nervous and far from in my element.  But since coming here I’ve definitely gotten out of my comfort zone, grown as a person and loved every minute of it.

3. Be yourself and you’ll find people who accept you.

College is someplace where you really can truly embrace who you are as an individual.  It’s also the place where the people that are meant to be in your life will come and accept you for exactly who you are.

4. College parties aren’t like what you see in the movies.

I don’t know about you but coming to college I had this crazy vision of college parties like Project X.  While they are really fun, they are definitely not what I expected them to be at all.

5. There will be plenty of boys.

This is college, boys will be everywhere.  But don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to get to go out with them.

6. With that being said, don’t obsess over them.

While this first year you’ve probably met plently of guys, hooked up with some or maybe even dated a few, but never let a boy ruin your college experience.  You’ll end up regretting the time you spent worrying about them because you will have missed out on so many other awesome opportunities.

7. Do your work.

Believe me I like to procrastinate as much as the next girl but I have learned first hand that this is not the best way to go about doing your work.  When all is said and done, school is your number one priority. Always.

8. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself.

Sometimes it can be hard to pull yourself away from the library or the 10,000 tasks at hand but what I’ve learned is that sometimes I just need to put the books down and enjoy Charleston.  Take in the sights and the salt air, the water and the beaches, because as important as school is your experience is just as important. 

I hope all of your freshman years have been amazing! Congratulations, collegiettes!  You’re officially sophomores! HCXO

Madeleine Sanders is currently a sophmore at the College of Charleston. She is an Arts Management major and in her free time can be found looking at pictures of puppies or spending hours in Sephora. Besides being involved with Her Campus, Madeleine is also a part of Phi Mu. She can't wait to see what college has in store for her and to help other collegiettes with their college experience as well.