8 of the Best Breakfast Places in Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but all of us are guilty of skipping it from time to time. This weekend, treat yourself to a delicious breakfast at some of our favorite places to dine in Charleston. You deserve it, collegiettes, especially after midterms and Hurricane Matthew.

1. Dixie Supply Bakery & Cafe Located close to the Market, Dixie Supply is a quaint (and cheap) place for a quick breakfast. One of our favorite dishes is the vanilla french toast that’s jusr $4.50!  How can you go wrong with that? Or you could pick something from their delicious pastry case and stroll down to Waterfront Park.  Definitely a must go in Charleston (it was also featured on Diner’s, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network).

2. Gnome Cafe Gnome Cafe is a hip and bright restaurant known for its yummy coffee drinks and quirky atmosphere. Some of their best breakfast options include cinnamon rolls and southern grit bowls. Bonus: the cafe is completely vegan!

3. Toast While Toast is a chain restaurant, it still earns its spot on our list. Toast has every type of breakfast food you can imagine and it is served all day! Craving pancakes and bacon for dinner? No problem! Want some awesome mimosas? Check! This is your place any day of the week. 

4. Brown’s Court Bakery Brown’s Court has excellent fresh pastries made daily and upstairs they have the perfect place to study and relax for a few hours with a cup of coffee.  One of our Charleston must go places, especially when we need a break from studying in the library during finals!

5. WildFlour Pastry WildFlour is open all week, but Sunday is the day to go. Their Sunday-only sticky buns are heavenly and addictive. They also offer scones and other baked goods if sticky buns aren’t for you. Complete with private seating in an outdoor courtyard, WildFlour offers a distinctly Charleston experience.

6. Star’s Star’s has an excellent brunch buffet. Their selections include build your own omelet, praline french toast, and honey biscuits. It is a bit pricy, so we recommend having your parents take you during their visit to Charleston. Also be sure to check out the rooftop bar, which also serves as the perfect backdrop for a photoshoot, and see amazing views of our favorite city.

7. Hominy Grill A classic example of a Southern brunch. Hominy is an excellent place to bring your parents or even just a special Sunday breakfast with friends. We highly recommend trying the cornbread and home fries as popular sides. Although Hominy is usually crowded during popular weekend brunch times it is still the place to go!  Just make sure to arrive early or be prepared to wait (nobody likes a cranky bruncher).  

8. Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit Our breakfast hot-spot list could not be complete without Callie’s. The small storefront is easy to pass by, but it’s one of Charleston’s loveliest places to eat. With a multitude of biscuit varieties, a late night weekend menu and 2 for $4 biscuits Callie’s is simply amazing. 

Charleston does breakfast and brunch right, whether it’s local dives or Lowcountry chains, and with so many options to choose from you can almost never go wrong.  So, collegiettes, treat yourself this weekend.  You most definitely deserve it! HCXO

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.    
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.