7 Ways to Appreciate Earth Everyday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

1. Go Meatless once a week.

The meat industry requires much more than just livestock to serve you your favorite dinners. It can take up to thousands of gallons of water just to produce a pound of beef. This compares to whole foods such as fruits and vegetables which typically only require around 60 gallons of water. By having meatless meals once a week, you are reducing the amount of meat you eat and reducing the amount of water being used.

2. Turn off all the lights when you leave the room. 

This is a pretty straightforward one, yet there are always people who leave their lights on when they are not in the room. Not only will this add up on your electric bill, but you are wasting energy. Be energy efficient and be sure to turn off all the lights.

3. Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth. 

Leaving the faucet running water while brushing your teeth is simply a bad habit. They say old habits die hard, so just make it a point to start turning the water off. Be aware of your actions. Don’t text while brushing or anything else that could be distracting. Just focus on making turning the water off a habit. While it may not seem like much, you would be surprised by just how much water you are quite literally dumping down the drain.

4. Use your consumer power to support Earth friendly products. 

Every dollar you spend is a vote for a product. If you are purchasing food from McDonald’s you are supporting and investing in that company. So, when you buy products such as toilet paper, paper towels, notebooks and other products, opt for products that are mostly recycled material. Not only are you recycling, but you are investing in the company and voting for environmentally friendly products. Businesses will recognize that recyclable products are what the consumer wants, and then more similar products will be manufactured. Let us not forget it is the consumer who holds the power.

5. Walk, bike, skateboard

Instead of driving or taking public transit, try to walk or ride a bike. Not only will you be reducing your carbon footprint, you will be getting some good exercise in as well! Doing this once a week can make a drastic difference.

6. Get a re-useable coffee cup or water bottle

It’s no secret that water bottles and coffee cups are constantly being thrown away every single day. Just think of all the cups of coffee Starbucks sells in one day- now think of all that trash. By purchasing a re-useable cup, you are decreasing the amount of waste you contribute. Also, try to avoid plastic cups or bottles if possible to be as environmentally friendly as possible!

7. Get outside!

Now that spring is finally upon us, it’s time to get outside and enjoy Mother Nature. Reconnect with the Earth. Walk through the grass barefoot, play ball with your friends in the park, or sit under a tree and read a book. Just get outside and submerse yourself in all nature has to offer. While outside, try to avoid your electronic devices such as your phones or computers. Keep your attention on the beauty of nature. Actually stop and smell the roses.

Let’s all appreciate this Earth and do what we can to make it a better place every day. We need to take care of the Earth so it can take care of us.

Catherine Yetman is a sophomore from New Jersey. She loves yoga and spending her free time at the beach. She is studying psychology at the College of Charleston in hopes of becoming a psychologist one day.