6 Tips to Make Your Early Mornings More Enjoyable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Every day is the start of something beautiful, so make sure to always start out on the right foot. The way you begin your morning will set you up for how you react to (and enjoy) the rest of the day. Being a college student can make this quite difficult. We are always lacking in the sleep department and rushing to each destination. Regardless of which side of the bed you wake up on, here are six things you can do to improve your morning:

1. Set Your Alarm 15-30 Minutes Earlier: Don’t rush in the morning! Setting you alarm earlier will allow you to have enough time without being in a hurry. It will be tough in the beginning, but by the end of the week your body should readjust. 

2. Read! Read! Read!: Reading in the morning will get the juices in your brain flowing. It will also keep you up with current events if you read the newspaper. Reading jump-starts the thinking. It’s also great because it’s kind of like clicking the reset button!

3. Check the Weather: This is something you definitely want to do in Charleston. The weather is so bipolar! You can think it is nice and warm outside because it is nice and sunny only to walk outside and freeze/be blown away by gusts of wind. You do not want to have to go back inside and change. 

4. Coffee or Tea: This is essential. Everyone needs a little pick me up. Brew your own or make a pit stop at Starbucks. If you have enough time, you can even get some studying in while you sip. 

5. Write Your Daily To Do List: Writing out what you have to do relieves stress and keeps you on top of your tasks. It takes a huge relief off of your shoulders. It also feels great when you cross off tasks completed throughout the day. 

6. Stop and Take a Deep Breath: Remember to look around you and see the beauty in the world. We all forget to do this sometimes. 

Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.