self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Take Care of Your Mental Health While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has become a scary time for all of us, and for those of us who suffer from mental illnesses, it can be even scarier. The fear and anxiety can be overwhelming, and social isolation can be hard to navigate if you are someone who copes by socializing. But social isolation does not have to equal loneliness. There are still plenty of ways to fight your mental illness during this struggle, and I am sharing a few tips I do to cope. 

Take a Break from Social Media

While it’s important to be caught up on what’s going on, hearing about the virus repeatedly can upset you even more. Social media can spread unreliable information and tends to circulate panic. Taking a break from the media can give you more time to focus on other important things. So try and remember that there are still other important things in your life during this difficult time.

Try a New Hobby 

There are plenty of inexpensive things you can give a try, like painting or cooking. You may find something you’re good at that you never would have tried before. And even if you’re not the best at something, it can still be fun!

Try a Home Exercise Plan

Exercising is a great way to relieve stress, help you think more clearly, and boost your mood. It can also be a good distraction from your anxiety if you focus on the task at hand. Pinterest is a great place to find a workout plan that can fit your lifestyle. 

Set Up a Routine 

While it can be easy to fall into old habits and not take as good care of yourself during isolation, it’s important to try to have a set schedule. Setting a good time for you to wake up every morning, not skipping a shower, or staying in pajamas can help you feel more productive and motivated.

Stay Positive!

As someone who personally struggles with depression, right now it is more difficult to stay positive and not let myself completely sink into my illness. But, remembering that my friends are still here for me helps take some of that weight away. Reach out to those who mean the most to you, and don’t be afraid to ask for help! This is a difficult time for all of us, and staying united is how we’ll get through it.

Remember, every day is just one day closer to everything being back to normal!

Becca is currently a junior at the College of Charleston pursuing her B.A in Communication.