The Lalacandles Books Laptop
The Lalacandles Books Laptop
Her Campus Media
Wellness

5 Ways to Make the Most Out of Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

With the rise of the COVID-19 strain of Coronavirus spreading throughout the nation, “social distancing” has come to the forefront of our lives. This health precaution has us stuck inside with limited contact and fitting all our normal activities into our space at home. Since we are now left to find things to fill our days when we are not finishing up our classes online, here are my top 5 tips in for getting the most out of your quarantine experience.

Self-Care

Consider this self-quarantine the perfect opportunity to take care of yourself and get into a new routine that helps to keep your mental health in check. Use this time in isolation to give yourself a little extra TLC and treat. yo. self. Put on some smooth jazz and a hair or face mask to melt away your stresses while soaking in your tub. This is a prime time to take that social media break you’ve been planning and to de-stress from your busy schedule as the world slows down while waiting out the Coronavirus, however long it may take. Go ahead and light that candle, spend time in nature, exercise, and listen to good music, you deserve it girl!

Binge Netflix (or any streaming service)

This one seems like the most obvious way to cope with these stressful times. But with class online and WFM, now you can do it without feeling guilty! Finding a new show can distract you from sitting around and watching the days go by. Start something new and exciting, or consider rewatching something you love to keep these days from blending together. Watch your favorite movie with family and value the time you have with them in your home, safe and healthy. 

Clean!

In these times of uncertainty, some of us may feel like we’re losing control of the world around us. A good way to combat this is to manage something you can control, in this case, the status of your home. Cleaning or reorganizing your house is a good way to spend a day with your family. You can accomplish a common goal while making good use of your days at home.

Keep a Journal

Now, this is a unique opportunity from these circumstances, because eventually this will all be over and it will be documented in new editions of history books. All of our future family members will want to know how we felt during the spread of this and how we coped. It will also help you maintain some form of routine as you write in your journal every day to document what you did the day before.  

Find Something New

Use this time to find a new passion, something to keep your mind occupied. This could be anything: crafting, cooking, knitting, finding a new book, revamping your favorite playlist by adding new and old favorites, writing letters to people you love– there are endless possibilities of exciting things you can do to make social distancing work for you!

Howdy! My name is Julia Brown, and I’m a senior studying Elementary Education with minors in Music and Sociology. In my free time, I like to listen to music, drink lots of coffee, and spot dogs on the street. I enjoy writing advice articles, music and movie reviews, and ways to make the most of your time on campus!