5 Ways to Get Over Beginning of the Semester Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It seems as if it were only yesterday—you were on the way home for winter break, finally feeling free from the stress of finals, papers and the life of a crazy busy college student. The options were limitless and your Netflix queue never looked so promising. Now, you’re sitting in class wishing you had more time to finish the most recent season of Grey’s Anatomy instead of reading your professor’s intimidating syllabus.

But have no fear, collegiettes! Believe it or not, you’ve got this. Here are a few ways to get over the beginning of the semester struggles!

1.  Get organized.

It’s much easier to feel better about your life once you have things organized. Figure out your assignments for the semester, put them in your planner (or buy a planner, if you don’t have one) and outline how each week is going to go. It’s always best to make sure there aren’t any surprises when it comes to assignments.

2.  Find your ideal study spot for the semester.

Maybe it’s the library, your room or a nice quiet place somewhere on campus. Finding your ideal study spot can make a world of difference. Test a few out to see where you are able to focus best.

3. Give yourself an least an hour to yourself each day.

Watch a show on Netflix, paint your nails or even go on a walk. Giving yourself some time each day will make you more rested and happier in the long run.

4. When in doubt, find a friend. 

Sometimes it’s best to spend just a little time with a friend to get over stress. Grabbing dinner, hanging out in your dorm room or finding something fun to do with your friend group can be just the thing to get your out of any slump you may be in.

5.  Find time to exercise.

Even if it’s not your favorite thing, try finding a workout that you find (somewhat) enjoyable. Making an effort will make you feel better about yourself and will give you more energy to tackle the day.

With these few tips, you’ll get over the beginning of the semester struggle in no time.

Here’s to a new semester and a happier, new you!

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.