This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Some of these may seem grim, but they contain very crucial messages that many of us can relate to.

The Way Way Back

Easily the most overlooked coming of age movie ever made. The story centers around Duncan, an awkward 14-year-old who’s being forced into summer vacation with his mom and her new boyfriend.  Feeling isolated in his home life, Duncan finds solace in his new job at a local water park, bonding with the park’s manager after being hired.  This serendipitous friendship not only gives Duncan a steady father figure but also a sense of community which helps him find his place in this world.  It’s a wonderful story that everyone who grew up introverted can relate to. 

The Skeleton Twins

Maybe I’m biased from growing up watching Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader on Saturday Night Live, but this movie is an absolute must-watch.  Twins Milo and Maggie are reunited after 10 years when Milo attempts suicide at the same time Maggie is contemplating taking her own life as well.  It’s a beautifully dark story that showcases how messy life can get but how you’ll always find your way back to the people who make it worth living. 

Jennifer’s Body

Jennifer Check, a high school cheerleader, becomes possessed by a demon after a botched sacrifice. The demon must feed on men to survive, which, of course, causes hysteria around the town of Devil’s Kettle. Her best friend, Needy (yes, that’s what she calls her), is stuck with having to “defeat” her best friend.  This movie shows Needy coming into her own, finally standing up for herself against Jennifer, who has been undermining and mistreating Needy since childhood. It’s a twisted way to convey a good message for adolescent girls dealing with toxic friendships that they need strength to end.  

Gifted

This one goes out to all my Chris Evans lovers. The movie stars Mary, a little girl who seems to be too smart for her own good who is being raised by her uncle, Frank, after her mother passes away.  Her advanced mathematical abilities that mirror her late mother stir up controversy between Frank and his estranged mother, who debate whether she deserves a normal childhood or if she should embrace her talents and devote her life to mathematics.  This ends up in a custody battle where Frank ends up second-guessing himself as a parental role, giving his mother control of Mary’s life. Fortunately, Frank gets Mary back in the end seeing she isn’t happy isolated from kids her age and doing nothing but math all day.  This movie emphasizes the importance of relationships over success, which can be hard to remember in our fast-paced-career-oriented society. 

Monsters University

No summary needed.  You just have to watch it. 

These are some of my favorite films that teach very valuable lessons and I hope they become some of your favorites, too!

my only personality trait is being a swiftie