This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

2020 was one hell of a year. Looking ahead at some of the things happening in 2021 may seem a bit too optimistic after the year we just had, but a little bit of optimism is necessary in my opinion. If things this year go a little more according to plan, there are some things we can all expect to look forward to this year. (Here’s to hoping this doesn’t permanently jinx the year!) 

New. Music.

It’s early in the year and many artists are already confirming that they plan to release new music this year. Lorde’s third album is supposedly coming out this year, and Drake confirmed his next album, titled Certified Lover Boy. Lana Del Ray is coming out with Chemtrails over the Country Club this year, and even Carrie Underwood is back with a Christian album. Among unconfirmed-but-speculated artists, Rihanna and Harry Styles are expected to drop music as well. 

Harry Styles’ “Love on Tour”

Okay, seriously not trying to jinx anything here! Harry Styles’ second tour was supposed to kick off right around the time we all went into lockdown last year. However, if all goes well this year, we can all expect to see Harry back on the road! The first dates are scheduled for August, which hopefully is enough time for concerts to resume… so we’re keeping our fingers crossed!

The Billie Eilish Documentary

Billie fans, this one is for you. Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry is coming out through Apple TV this February. The documentary covers her life as she recorded her debut album and what life on the road looks like for her. It also features her family and friends, including songwriter brother Finneas O’Connell. 

F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Return

Yup, you read that right. F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is finally reuniting this year! The 25th anniversary of the show is coming up in March and the cast has plans for a special. Coming out on HBO Max, we can expect behind the scenes footage and commentary on the show. Unfortunately, the special isn’t a new episode. The cast has said they are simply making appearances as themselves, not as their characters. Nonetheless, we can’t wait to see what they have in store!

The First Female VP Takes Office

The inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris happened this year, January 20th. Kamala’s inauguration means many things. She’s not only the first female Vice President of the United States (that’s right — first ever), she’s also the first person of color to hold that office. Before joining Biden’s presidential ticket in 2020, Harris was a state senator for California and also was the former Attorney General of the state. She broke records before even entering office. 

Early Childhood Education | Psychology 4th year student at CofC, fan of cats, coffee, and New Girl