This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s officially Fall– don’t miss out on these events this spooky season in our beautiful city!

Boone Hall Plantation 

Obviously, a trip to the pumpkin patch is a mandatory fall activity- so make it a good one! Boone Hall Plantation is a pick-your-own pumpkin patch, but it also hosts a variety of fall activities, including a corn maze, hayrides, a petting zoo, and more. Tents full of pumpkin decorations as well as fresh fall produce and candy complete the experience. Mostly aimed at families with kids, embrace your inner child for a day and let yourself have a little fun! If you want a spookier experience, Boone Hall Plantation also hosts “Fright Nights”, including haunted hayrides and playgrounds with weird monsters (whose only goal is to scare the life out of you).

Boone Hall Plantation Cost: $12 (includes all attractions)

Boone Hall Fright Night Cost: $15 per attraction (choose one or do them all if you want!)

Plantation Hours: Monday-Saturday 9 am-6 pm; Sunday 11 am-6 pm​ from October 1st to the 31st

Fright Night Hours:  7:15 PM-Midnight, Fridays and Saturdays; 7:15 PM – 10:00 PM Thursdays and Sundays from September to November

Address: 1235 Long Point Rd, Mt Pleasant, SC; 25-minute drive from campus

Autumn on the Ashley: 12th Annual Arts & Crafts Fair 

For the 12th year in a row, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is hosting an autumnal arts and crafts fair. Visit and support products from local artisans including “wood carvings, paintings, textiles, jewelry, photography, natural skincare, lawn art and more.” They are also hosting an autumn plant sale, so if you’re looking to take home some gorgeous greenery for your dorm, look no further. To make a full day of it, you can also get admission to the stunning magnolia gardens and spend some quality time with a variety of flowers and other foliage found around the plantation.

Cost: Free!

Admission to the Magnolia Gardens: $20

When: Saturday and Sunday, October 12th and 13th, 9 am – 5 pm

Address: 3550 Ashley River Rd, Charleston, SC; 35 minute drive from campus

The Follypalooza Cancer Benefit 

Follypalooza is an annual street festival aimed to raise money for Folly Beach residents who are receiving cancer treatments. With live music, food, art (and art competitions!), auctions, and a carnival atmosphere, this festival is a lot of fun and all for an amazing cause. In the last year alone, Follypalooza paid over $17,000 in local cancer patients bills and in its 11-year run, Follypalooza has paid $80,000+ inpatient bills for over 40 people in the Folly community.  After, you can always stay for a trip to the beach or visit some of the amazing restaurants around the town. Go help out the community and make the most of the festival atmosphere! 

Cost: Free!

When: Saturday, October 12th, from 10 am- 4 pm

Address: Center Street, Folly Beach, SC; 20 minute drive from campus

Coastal Carolina Fair 

The Coastal Carolina Fair in Ladson, SC, has been a major state event since 1957 (63 years!). What makes this event unique is that all proceeds from the fair go to charities and non-profits around Charleston and surrounding communities, including Meals on Wheels, Outreach Clinic of Summerville, and Habitat for Humanity. With tons of rides, a variety of events and musicians, food trucks, and more, there’s plenty to do and all for a good cause. Go at night to see all the lights from the rides lit up and make sure to treat yourself to some funnel cake while you’re at it.

Cost: $10 admission (doesn’t include rides, games, or food)

When: October 31st- November 10th; hours vary 

Address: 9850 US-78, Ladson, SC​;  25 minute drive from campus

Charleston’s Hot Air Balloon Festival & Victory Cup Polo Match 

Having never been to a Hot Air Balloon Festival before, this one is on the top of my fall bucket list. Held on a gorgeous polo field, you can come and “enjoy a gorgeous day of green grass, majestic horses, heart pounding polo, dozens of food and alcohol partners, and beautiful hot air balloons!” Grab some friends (or even your dog- it’s pet-friendly) and spend the afternoon in the fresh air, with some horses as extra company and a view full of colorful balloons. Termed one of the largest equestrian events in the US, you won’t want to miss out. Even if horses aren’t your thing, you can’t go wrong with good food, fresh air, and BALLOONS!

Cost: $7 (basic Friday night pass)

When: Friday, Nov 15, 4:00 PM – Saturday, Nov 16, 8:00 PM

Address: 2662 Mullet Hall Rd, Johns Island, SC; 30 minute drive from campus 

Expand your fall itinerary by checking out these unique Charleston events, and always remember to eat everything pumpkin-flavored while you can. 

Tree-hugger & coffee-lover. Freshman at College of Charleston (currently Undecided). Love for All, Hatred for None.