This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The month of October marks the official start of spooky season! From haunted houses to spooky stories, the countdown till Halloween has officially begun. While I am all for the frights this month, one thing that does not sit too well is scary movies. So, I picked out a list of my top 5 movies to get ready for Halloween without losing sleep.

Coraline

While in her new home, Coraline discovers a secret door that is the gateway to an alternate version of her life. This parallel universe is similar to her real-life but still very different. Eventually, her adventure becomes dangerous when her “Other Mother” tries to keep her in the alternative universe. Coraline must find a way to get back home and save her family. I think that Coraline is a good choice to get ready for the spooky season because the movie is still chilling and dark but not overwhelming. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the story of the pumpkin king, Jack Skellington. When Jack becomes bored with the same daily routine of Halloweentown, he stumbles upon Christmastown and is fascinated by the bright lights and Christmas cheer. Although the plot of The Nightmare Before Christmas may lean more towards Christmas and the festivities associated with it, the characters such as the witches, Oogie Boogie, and Zero the ghost dog add into the key components to make this a Halloween movie.

Halloweentown

The movie Halloween town may not be the spookiest of them all, it does take a look at the supernatural town full of goblins, witches, and more! When Marnie turns 13, she learns that she’s a witch and she soon finds herself saving the town from an evil curse. Halloweentown is a perfect movie to bring back your childhood with fun and spooky characters.

Twitches

Twitches is one of the many unforgettable Disney Channel classics. Tia and Tamera star as twins who were separated at birth that later find each other and discover that they are witches. Shortly after arriving in Coventry, the twin sisters must save their kingdom from the fores of darkness.

Casper

Finally, the movie Casper is about Casper falling in love with this girl named Kat that happened to move into this abandoned mansion. While Casper’s uncles encourage Casper to scare away the guest, Casper wishes to be human again to be closer to Kat. Essentially, Casper is a spooky love story and also by far the cutest character ever.

Hi, my name is Samantha but most just call me Sam. I am a senior at the College and I'm a Biology major and Psychology minor. My interest include going to the beach, binge-watching movies on Netflix, and exploring downtown!