This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Conspiracy theories are stories and tales that have entertained and interested the public eye for decades. They have been around for centuries, and many theories date back to the early 15th century. More recently, conspiracy theories have taken social media by storm. Apps such as Twitter and Tumblr are full of these tales which accrue many fans. It has also become popular in film, where there have been documentaries detailing these tales, even some movies were made. As well as people taking to YouTube to document their take on these tales and share to their viewers. There are thousands of theories that circulate the world, but here are some very interesting theories that I have found, as well as love.

• Prince Charles is a vampire.

So this one may seem like a very interesting theory, but really it is all based on the fact that Prince Charles bloodline relates back to Vlad the Impaler! If you don’t know who Vlad the Impaler is, he was the Prince of Wallachia during the 14th century. He is famously known for the way he punished his enemies, by impaling them with a spear, as well as having a taste for blood. With that, came the infamous tale of Dracula, which was popularized by Bram Stoker. Anyway, with the information of Prince Charles bloodline relating back to Vlad, it is a popular belief that Charles himself would have a taste for blood. That’s not the only anecdote that helps with this theory. Within the royal family, there is a history of the disease Porphyria. This disease affects the skin and makes those affected with it sensitive to the sunlight, a common trope for vampires. While this is ultimately untrue, it’s still a fun theory to think about.

(Image Source)

• Princes in the Tower.

As a history major, this theory really makes me sad. This is a famous theory, turned “murder investigation” in the UK. The theory is about two royal sons of Elizabeth Woodville and Edward IV and their fate. It is said that after their father’s death, they were sent up into the Tower of London, for their “protection” by their uncle Richard III. However, they were never seen again. So what is the theory here? The theory is more about who killed the two princes. There is quite a list, but many of the theories are that Richard III, their uncle, and his wife, Anne Neville, were the ones behind their deaths. Another theory is that Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VI, was behind their deaths, all because she was worried that they would take the throne away from her son. Talk about a helicopter mother!

(Image Source)

• Paul is dead!

This one is a personal favorite theory, mainly because I love The Beatles. This theory began in 1969 when fans alleged that the front-runner of the band, Paul McCartney, died in 1966 and fans believe the rest of the band covered up his death. The story of this theory goes that McCartney left a session for his Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album, got in his car, crashed and died. After which, he was replaced by a look-a-like. However, the crash indeed never happened! In fact, he was on holiday with this girlfriend, traveling the world. Their song, “Glass Onion,” was also believed to hold a clue to Paul and his death. The lines “the walrus is Paul!” relates to their song “I Am A Walrus.” Those cheeky boys!

(Image Source)

• The Holocaust wasn’t real?

Ok, again as a history major, this theory makes me angry. Despite all the evidence, artifacts, and buildings, many people still think this horrible event in history never took place. The act of Holocaust denial is the act of denying that the genocide of Jews and other minorities ever happened. Some of the denial claims are: that the Nazi’s only aim was to deport the Jews/minorities and did not include the genocide of them; that the Nazi’s did not use extermination camps, and gas chambers; or that the number of those murdered was significantly lower than the number reported. Many of those who deny the Holocaust believe it is a hoax or an exaggeration. Either way, this is completely false and I do not believe in this theory.

(Image Source)

• 27 Club.

This is by far the most interesting of the theories. This theory is focused on rock and roll history, where many singers died at the age of 27. This term became more popular in 1994 after Kurt Cobain, the lead singer of the band Nirvana, died. After his deaths, many fans began to connect his death and age to many other rockers who died at the same age. Since then, this sad club began to expand to actors and artists as well. Some famous stars in this club are: Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison of The Doors, Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, and Anton Yelchin. This is by far one of the saddest theories I have ever heard of, may they rest in peace.

(Image Source)

I'm a junior at the College of Charleston, majoring in History and International Studies. Totally not sure what I want to do but I love writing about important issues. I'm a self-proclaimed professional photographer and a lover of all things space and spooky.