5 DIY Ideas for Your Last Minute Spooky Shindig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Halloweekend is here and if you’re a last minute planner like myself, you’ve barely thought about your costume let alone how you’re supposed to throw together an awesome Halloween shindig.  But don’t fear, collegiettes!  Here are 5 ideas that you can throw together to make this Halloween party the Halloween party of the century.  

Use Caution Tape

Use caution tape to mark off areas you don’t want your party guests venturing to (like your bedrooms or private bathrooms).  It also doubles as looking like a crime scene.  Very spooky, collegiettes, very spooky.

Make a Halloween Photo Backdrop

Everyone loves taking pictures! And with it being Halloween, everyone wants to take a good one to post on Instagram.  Give your guests the perfect backdrop for their photo by decorating a wall with streamers, sheets or even spiderwebs to give it that authentic spooky feel.  Everyone will thank you for it!

Decorate the Cups

Don’t just leave your guests with plain and boring solo cups, give them spooky cups.  If you don’t know how many people will be attending your get together, maybe have them decorate their own cups.  (Cut down on the mess though by providing easy to use materials, especially if the beverages consumed are less than virgin.)

Concoct Spooky Beverages

Free drinks are always a winning idea, especially if they’re fun.  Get creative!  Make layered jello drinks in fun colors to look like candy corn, worms or even (as pictured above) shots.  Not only will your guests enjoy the idea of them, they’ll quench their ever present thirst on Hallow’s eve.  

Use Pumpkins Instead of Coolers

Instead of mixing your ghoul juice in a cooler, opt for a hollowed out pumpkin with a bowl and ice inside.  Not only is it fun but as Halloween approaches, the pumpkins get cheaper and cheaper.  However, if you’re super short on time (like your party is in 20 minutes) instead add dry ice to your drink to give it an eerie fog.  

Halloween is a great time of year!  And, even if you’re short on time you can throw an awesome party.  Use these 5 tips to create the spooky shindig of your dreams and entertain guests like a pro.  Happy hauntings, collegiettes!

All photos from Her Campus College of Charleston’s Holiday Pinterest Board.

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.