david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Costumes You Should Think Twice Before Wearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Halloween is a time when you can where whatever you want and pretty much get away with it.  Many go for cute or funny, while others aim for sexy or show-stopping costumes.  I get it.  But there a few things you probably shouldn’t do on Halloween and those are wearing costumes that are actually pretty dang offensive.  Here are some guidelines as you start to think about what you might be wearing on this favorite holiday and a few costumes you probably should think twice before wearing.

1. Childhood Memories 

Image from Huffington Post.

Childhood is time a joy and silliness, cute cartoons and fun princesses.  But when you turn those memories into sexy costumes, that’s where you go very, very wrong. In my opinion, even sexy Disney Princess costumes are too far.

2. Sexual Pun

Photo from Buzzfeed.

Puns are funny in every day conversations and make some situations so much butter.  But a sexy sexual pun is like if two rights made a wrong, and turning that into a costume is just not what you should probably do.

3.  Food

Photo from FJ Jackets.

Why does food need to be sexualized?  We eat it and it is necessary for us to live.  It’s not a joke or a something we should be sexualizing at all.

4. Memes

Photo from HalloweenCostumes.com.

If it did not happen the day before Halloween, then it is already old news.  Keep the memes on Facebook and Tumblr but keep ’em out of Halloween. 

5. Anything That Reduces a Race/Culture/Religion/Sexuality to a Cheap Costume

Photo from Yandy.

When are people going to learn that this is never ok?  A culture, religion or race is not something to be objectified or appropriated.  It’s not okay.  

The goal is not to outlaw certain costumes. I merely wanted to educate some because saying “it was just a Halloween costume” does not protect you from criticism.  There are some obvious things you shouldn’t wear on this holiday but please, use common sense when dressing up for Halloween. No one wants to spend the night or nights offending people or being offended.  Choose wisely, collegiettes.

A Political Science and International Studies double major with a minor in Midddle East studies at College of Charleston.