This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Don’t you get tired of listening to music that all sounds the same? Me too, girl. I like to pride myself on having a pretty bomb taste in music. I love to find new artists that have a distinct style and are uniquely themselves. Here are 5 artists who I feel everybody trying to expand their taste in music needs to hear.

Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers

Hobo breaks down so many barriers in rap. He mixes spoken word poetry with hip hop to create his unique style. His band’s songs are everything from emotional to humorous, sometimes all at once. As a bonus, their live performances are so full of energy, especially from frontman Hobo. The band also just released their latest album, The Fall of Hobo Johnson, so now is the perfect time to check them out!

XXXTentacion

I know, I know nearly everyone has heard “SAD!” or “Moonlight” by this assassinated rapper. X happens to have more than just a few songs though. He created 6 albums, one posthumous, along with countless singles. His first single,Look at Me!“, is a straight banger and shook the industry when he used his mugshot(shown above) as the cover art. His albums are full of songs that can help you through a hard time or make you feel like the baddest b*tch alive. I promise you won’t regret listening to him. Rest in Peace Jahseh.

Ski Mask The Slump God

If you do listen to XXXTentacion, you’re bound to hear some bars from his close friend, Ski Mask The Slump God. Ski Mask is now an up-and-coming artist since the release of STOKELEY. He has a flow like no other and uses the best pop culture references. If you haven’t listened to him yet or have only heard “Faucet Failure“in the Top 50, I recommend checking out his song “BabyWipe“.

Lil Peep

Lil Peep. I could talk for days about the creator of the “emo rap” genre. Sadly, he overdosed on Xanax in 2017 (Rest in Peace, Gus). Even though he’s gone, he has multiple EPs on Soundcloud, along with two albums that keep his memory alive. Both his albums – Come Over When You’re Sober, Part 1 and Part 2 – address issues like depression, addiction, anxiety, and heartbreak in the most relatable way. For those looking to check him out for the first time, I suggest starting with “Benz Truck(Гелик)“. It’ll change your life.

Billie Eilish

I’m sure by now everybody has heard of this 17-year-old who is topping the charts. Maybe you’ve listened to “Ocean Eyes” or “Bad Guy“, but if you haven’t given any other of her songs a chance, you need to asap. Her EP, don’t smile at me, shattered so many barriers in music and allowed WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? to break records. Even though she is extremely popular now, Billie is still a pleasant break from typical pop music and her personality will steal your heart. 

Zelda Proveaux is a freshman at the College of Charleston. She is majoring in Communications and wants to have a career in digital marketing. In her free time, Zelda enjoys listening to music and being around animals, especially cute pups!