20 New Young Adult Books to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Fall is the perfect time to cuddle up with a blanket, a cup of tea, and a great book. So next time you’re looking for a recommendation (or have time in between series on Netflix), here are 20 of the newest YA books out this fall. Enjoy!

1. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Goodreads Description: This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

Average Rating: 4.01/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

2. Tonight the Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales

Goodreads Description: During one crazy night out in New York City filled with parties, dancing, and music—the type of night when anything can happen, and nearly everything does—Arden discovers that Peter isn’t exactly who she thought he was. And maybe she isn’t exactly who she thought she was, either.

Average Rating: 3.65/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

3. Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith

Goodreads Description: This new must-read novel from Jennifer E. Smith, author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, explores the difficult choices that must be made when life and love lead in different directions.

Average Rating: 3.73/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Sarah Dessen

4. Dumplin by Julie Murphy

Goodreads Description: Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked…until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back. With starry Texas nights, red candy suckers, Dolly Parton songs, and a wildly unforgettable heroine—Dumplin’ is guaranteed to steal your heart.

Average Rating: 3.97/5

Perfect For Fans Of: John Green

5. Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas

Goodreads Description: No one has ever broken free of the Godmother’s terrible stone prison until a girl named Pin attempts a breathless, daring escape. But she discovers that what seems to be freedom is a prison of another kind, one that entangles her in a story that leads to a prince, a kiss, and a clock striking midnight. To unravel herself from this new life, Pin must choose between a prince and another—the one who helped her before and who would give his life for her. Torn, the only thing for her to do is trade in the glass slipper for a sword and find her own destiny.

Average Rating: 3.57/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Cinderella

6. Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

Goodreads Description: When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Rose Riders for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devious strangers, dust storms, and a pair of brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, she gets closer to the truth about herself and must decide if there’s room for love in a heart so full of hate.

Average Rating: 3.93/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Mulan

7. Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett

Goodreads Description: Romeo and Juliet meets Children of the Corn in this one-of-a-kind romantic horror. “When you fall in love, you will carve out your heart and throw it into the deepest ocean. You will be all in—blood and salt.” These are the last words Ash Larkin hears before her mother returns to the spiritual commune she escaped long ago. But when Ash follows her to Quivira, Kansas, something sinister and ancient waits among the rustling cornstalks of this village lost to time.

Average Rating: 3.84/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

8. Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa

Goodreads Description: Ten months after her recurring depression landed her in the hospital, Mira is starting over at Saint Francis Prep. She promised her parents she would at least try to pretend that she could act like a functioning human this time, not a girl who can’t get out of bed for days on end, who only feels awake when she’s with Sebby. A captivating and profound debut novel, Fans of the Impossible Life is a story about complicated love and the friendships that change you forever.

Average Rating: 3.80/5

Perfect For Fans Of: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

9. The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow

Goodreads Description: A world battered by climate shift and war turns to an ancient method of keeping peace: the exchange of hostages. The Children of Peace – sons and daughters of kings and presidents and generals – are raised together in small, isolated schools called Prefectures. There, they learn history and political theory, and are taught to gracefully accept what may well be their fate: to die if their countries declare war.

Average Rating: 3.53/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

10. A Whole New World  by Liz Braswell

Goodreads Description: Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways. Each book asks the question: What if one key moment from a familiar Disney film was changed? This dark and daring version of Aladdin twists the original story with the question: What if Jafar was the first one to summon the Genie? 

Average Rating: 2.95/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Alex Flinn

11. The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore

Goodreads Description: For twenty years, the Palomas and the Corbeaus have been rivals and enemies, locked in an escalating feud for over a generation. Both families make their living as traveling performers in competing shows—the Palomas swimming in mermaid exhibitions, the Corbeaus, former tightrope walkers, performing in the tallest trees they can find. 

Average Rating: 4.01/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Romeo and Juliet

12. Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson

Goodreads Description: Odea Donahue has been able to travel through people’s dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her the three rules of walking: Never interfere. Never be seen. Never walk the same person’s dream more than once. Dea has never broken the rules. Then a mysterious new boy, Connor, comes to town. But both Dea and Connor have secrets, and as she is increasingly drawn to Connor’s dreams—and nightmares—the boundary between worlds begins to deteriorate, putting everyone she loves in danger.

Average Rating: 3.59/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

13. This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee

Goodreads Description: In an alternative fantasy world where some men are made from clockwork parts and carriages are steam powered, Alasdair Finch, a young mechanic, does the unthinkable after his brother dies: he uses clockwork pieces to bring Oliver back from the dead.

Average Rating: 4.11/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Frankenstein

14. A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston

Goodreads Description: In this retelling of the folk legend A Thousand and One Nights, our main character volunteers to take the place of her sister after the murderous Lo-Melkhiin comes into her village to find a wife. With over 300 ex-wives, she knows her fate equals death. To avoid death she weaves together intricate stories, but she soon comes to realize that Lo-Melkhiin is haunted by a dark past. Fantasy fans are sure to be engrossed by this enriching tale.

Average Rating: 3.61/5

Perfect For Fans Of: The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren Destefano

15. Mirrored by Alex Flinn

Goodreads Description: In Alex Flinn’s modern and mysterious retelling of Snow White, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and true love doesn’t necessarily mean Prince Charming. Mirrored is a modern retelling of Snow White—told from the points of view of Violet, Celine, and Goose—with all the magic and mystery readers will love.

Average Rating: 3.61/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Gail Carson Levine

16. For the Record by Charlotte Huang

Goodreads Description: As the leader singer in a band, Chelsea’s living the dream by going on tour in a bus with her bandmates and performing sold-out shows. There’s just one catch: If Chelsea can’t convince her bandmates and fans that she’s worthy enough to stay, she’ll be sent back to her hometown. A refreshing realistic read that’s brimming with energy, For the Record isn’t one to be missed.

Average Rating: 4.07/5

Perfect For Fans Of: L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

17. Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin

Goodreads Description: In 1956, Adolf Hitler and Emperor Hirohito put on a motorcycle race in honor of their Great Victory over Britain and Russia. Yael, a skinshifter, has a motive to win the race and kill Hitler by impersonating the prior year’s victor. But will she succeed? 

Average Rating: 4.31/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

18. Not After Everything by Michelle Levy

Goodreads Description: Tyler’s seemingly perfect life comes crashing down when his mother commits suicide. Depressed, withdrawn, and forced to deal with his father’s rage, Tyler struggles to find meaning in his old life. When he makes an unexpected connection with a childhood friend, Tyler must decide if grief is worth losing everything for. Levy’s gritty and bittersweet debut will break your heart in all the right places.

Average Rating: 4.00/5

Perfect For Fans Of: The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

19. Weird Girl and What’s His Name by Meagan Brothers

Goodreads Description: This story follows two misfit BFFs, Rory and Lula, who’ve always confided in each other. But when Rory begins having an illegal affair with his older boss and Lula begins to question her sexual orientation, the structure they’ve built their friendship on is shaken. Readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories will enjoy this powerful novel.

Average Rating: 4.19/5

Perfect For Fans Of: More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

20. Forget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn

Goodreads Description: In this futuristic society, every 17-year-old receives a memory that provides them with a small peek at their future. But when Callie foresees herself murdering her talented younger sister, she is immediately arrested. After she escapes with the help of a childhood friend, Callie must figure out how to outrun the government and redefine her future. This gripping read is sure to have you on the edge of your seat.

Average Rating: 4.29/5

Perfect For Fans Of: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.