13 of the Most Empowering Songs from Empowering Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s March, which means we have just entered Women’s History Month. To celebrate this month, here are some songs that show the power of the female!

“The Man” by Taylor Swift

“When everyone believes ya/ What’s that like?”

There are so many double standards between how men and women live their lives, and this song embodies most of the key differences.

“Salute” by Little Mix

“Ladies, the time has come, the war has begun/ Let us stand together/ And remember, men fight great, but women are greater fighters.”

It’s an entire song about how women from all walks of life are strong, comparing women to being an army of warriors (which we totally are).

“Woman” by Kesha

“I do what I want, say what you say/ I work real hard every day”

Kesha’s reminding us that we don’t need a man to have some fun and should take pride in being independent.

“Girl In A Country Song” by Maddie and Tae

“Aw, y’all we ain’t a cliche/ That ain’t no way/ To treat a lady.”

This may have the feel of your usual country song, but it’s really pointing out how awful the stereotype of women in country music is, questioning what happened to respecting women in country songs.

“Respect” by Aretha Franklin

“R-E-S-P-E-C-T/ Find out what it means to me.”

When you realize this song was originally sung by a man it has a completely different context. All Aretha’s asking for though is for men to pay a little bit of respect for who she is (especially when she’s got what he wants).

“Condfident” by Demi Lovato

“I make my own choice/ B****, I run this show/ So leave the lights on/ No, you can’t make me behave.”

Again, Demi’s telling us not to let others’ opinions get in the way of ourselves. It’s our life, so only you can dictate what you do!

“Thank You, Next” by Ariana Grande

“I’ve got so much love/ Got so much patience/ I’ve learned from the pain/ I turned out amazing.”

If we’ve learned anything from Ariana, it’s that while relationships might help us grow, but the most important growth is self-growth and self love.

“Little Red Wagon” by Miranda Lambert

“You can’t ride in my little red wagon/ The front seat’s broken and the axle’s draggin’/ You can’t step to this backyard swagger/ You know it ain’t my fault when I walk and jaws droppin’ like…”

Essentially Miranda’s saying not to let men freeload off of us! Sure, we might have a lot to offer, but don’t let them take advantage of it.

“I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

“I’ve got all my life to live/ And I’ve got all my love to give and I’ll survive/ I will survive.”

The realization that she didn’t need a relationship to survive created one of the greatest songs of all time (in my opinion). We can survive on our own!

“Man! I Feel Like A Woman” by Shania Twain

“The best thing about being a woman/ Is the prerogative to a little fun.”

Shania reminds us that part of the fun of being a woman is actually having fun and letting loose, not having a care in the world what people think.

“You Don’t Own Me” by Grace

“I’m free and I love to be free/ To live my life the way I want/ To say I do whatever I please.”

This song acts as a reminder about how we shouldn’t change for a man; we are our own person and no one can take that from us!

“Soulmate” by Lizzo

“Cause I’m my own soulmate/ I know how to love me/ I know that I’m always gonna hold me down/ Yeah I’m my own soulmate/ No, I’m never lonely/ I know I’m a queen but I don’t need no crown”

The queen of self love (and everyone’s personal hype woman), Lizzo, tells us that the only love we need is our own; we are our own soulmate!

“Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce

“Boy you know you love it/ How we’re smart enough/ To make these millions/ Strong enough to bare these”

I don’t think you’re allowed to have a list of empowering songs by empowering women and NOT include this song because really, who runs the world?

Here’s to empowering women this Women’s History Month!

Full time student, part time awards show predictor, full time recommender of television shows, movies, and books.