10 Thoughts While Working at Charleston Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s that time of the year again in Charleston where, for a whole week, the city becomes a popular destination for fashion lovers.

Fashion week is set up right in the middle of downtown in Marion Square where local retailers and new designers show off their latest collections. This year I’ve had the priviledge of being apart of the Charleston Fashion Week Crew and help with everything from setting up chairs to getting guests to their seats to passing out programs.

As a volunteer you’re always moving and there’s a lot of work to be done but the love you have for fashion is what makes it all worth wild. Here’s a little bit of what fashion week is like from the crew’s perspective.

1. You go to sign in and see that there’s a huge line.

Let’s move it along people, no bottle-necking.

2. Once you sign in you have to go set up what feels like a never ending amount of chairs.

Stacks on stacks on stacks of chairs on chairs on chairs!

3. The guests start to arrive, you greet them and take them to their seats.

4. Someone will try to convince you to let them in without a ticket.

Good try, guys!

5. You see a celeberty across the room.

Was that *insert name of celeb you love* by the runway?!

6. The lights will shut off, the show will start and you can’t help but be excited.

7. Then someone will stand in front of you so you can barely see.

In the words of Michelle Tanner: “How rude!”

8. Afterwards you help all the drunk people get out of the tent.

It’s like herding cats…

9. You stay and pick up all the trash left behind.

10. Finally you get to go home and sleep. 

Sleep is great.  Sleep is good.  

But really, the experience is something you wouldn’t change or even think about regretting.  For the love of fashion, it’s amazing!  

Madeleine Sanders is currently a sophmore at the College of Charleston. She is an Arts Management major and in her free time can be found looking at pictures of puppies or spending hours in Sephora. Besides being involved with Her Campus, Madeleine is also a part of Phi Mu. She can't wait to see what college has in store for her and to help other collegiettes with their college experience as well.