10 Lessons I Learned from Being ‘Team Brooke’ & ‘Team Blair’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I’ve been seing a lot of “What Brooke Davis Taught Me” and “Lessons to Live by from Blair Waldorf,” so I decided to combine the two and give it a try. Both Brooke from One Tree Hill and Blair from Gossip Girl weren’t my favorite characters in the beginning of these two shows, in fact I thought they were unnecessarily bitchy. But as I continued watching season after season, I saw Brooke and Blair develop into women who were independent, driven, successful and happy with who they were. What I love about them is that they created their success through the hardships they encountered and through their successes they found happiness. They taught me you don’t need a relationship to be happy and you shouldn’t measure your happiness based on love, something that I’m constantly struggling with. Ultimately, your happiness is based on you and you alone. Sometimes I need a little reminder of that, so that’s why I look at Brooke and Blair for life and love lessons. I guess all good things come in B’s. So, here are ten lessons being Team B has taught me.

1. People are going to judge you, but you have to look past that.

Photo courtesy of Odyssey.com. 

One of the worst feelings is not feeling enough or being enough of something. We’ve all experienced that in some way or another, whether not feeling “good enough” for someone or not “smart enough” to get that job you want. It’s how you take those labels and challenge them is what will get you far. Sometimes we all need a reminder that we are good enough, in fact we are more than enough. As Brooke said, “You think you know me, but you don’t, and that means you don’t know what I can do.” Break those labels and show the world who you really are and who you want to be.

2. Don’t let anyone or anything get in the way of your success and happiness.

Photo courtsesy of Hercampus.com.

Relationships and life in general can get in the way of what you really want, the person you want to be, or what you want to aspire to do. Little things along the way may cloud our judgement and prevent us from reaching that end goal. But, the most important thing is to not lose sight of who you are. That’s so much easier said than done, but it takes a lot of work to push through the challenges until you can see the light you’ve been reaching for. 

3. Never settle for anything less than you deserve. 

Photo courtesy of Tumblr.com. 

I’ve been guilty of this: settling for someone who doesn’t treat me right becuase I’m scared of losing them. We get so used to someone and attached to them, that the fear of them leaving is worse than being unhappy in the relationship. I guess we’re afraid of change and being forced into the unknown. But change can be wonderful and can set you free–free to do that thing you’ve always wanted to do and makes you happy. Sometimes you just have to be like Brooke and let go of that relationship you know isn’t good for you, so you can rediscover your own happiness.

4. We sometimes feel alone, but we don’t have to feel that way.

Photo courtesy of Odyssey.com.

It’s okay to not be okay. It’s okay to scream at the top of your lungs and feel like no one can hear you. But people do hear you and you shouldn’t be afraid to ask for help. Even in our darkest and worst days, we will always have someone that will be there to listen and make us feel better. 

5. You are more than what life throws at you. You are more than your mistakes and stronger than you think. 

Photo courtesy of Odyssey.com. 

You are tougher than anything life throws at you. Not only will you get through this tough period but you will survive it, becuase you are strong and brave. Remember: life goes on and so will you.

6. Make your own destiny.

Photo courtesy of Tumblr.com. 

This is similar to if you want something, then don’t let anyone or anything get in the way of you reaching that. If you really want something, then you have to make it happen. You have to do it yourself. If you don’t like something, then change it. Only you and you alone can do that.

7. Believe in yourself and have faith in what you can do.

Photo courtesy of Pinterest.com.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to believe in yourself. Brooke started a successful clothing company, Clothes over Bros from a heartbreak. She had a lot of obstacles along the way, but not only did she pull through, she triumphed. She did so becuse she had faith in herself and her work. 

8. Only you can define your own happiness.

Photo courtesy of Refinery29.com. 

This is probably the most valuable lesson I learned from Gossip Girl. You don’t need a guy or a relationship to be happy. You shouldn’t base you happiness based on how your love life looks. There are so many things to be happy about: friends, family and your achievements. This is how Blair and Brooke really created succesful careers and learned how to be happy by themslves: by not letting anyone define them but themselves. 

9. If you wait for the right person, it’ll be worth it in the end. 

Photo courtesy of CW.com.

One day you’ll find that one person who will love you more than you could possibly imagine. You’ll have your fairytale ending and all the heartbreak you’ve suffered up to that point will have just been preparing you to be with that one special person. 

10. All you need in your life are friends.

Photo courtesy of Twitter.com. 

At the end of the day, your friends will be there for you. They’re your shoulder to cry on and the best person to go to to vent and get advice from. No one is a better listener than your best friend and no one will make you feel better than them.

Brooke and Blair are two characters who will make you feel like you can do or get through anything. Through their independnce, drive, motivation and success, they are women of wisom who will teach you more about love and life than you thought you could know. 

Allie Stern

C of C '19

Allie is a young public health professional, Guns N Roses enthusiast, cannabis educator, and Home Goods #1 customer. She is an up-and-coming entrepreneur who is passionate about women's empowerment and leadership. When she's not planning out her future on her white board, she can be found playing video games or watching Marvel movies with her boyfriend Amal.