Life > Experiences

1 Month Into College – Here is What I Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

College can be a difficult and scary transition. Once a child living in your parent’s house, you are now an “adult” with all this freedom, responsibility, and accountability. As a current freshman in college, there is still much more to learn, but after being here for a month this is what I know. 

1. IT IS NORMAL TO EAT ALONE

One of the main things I was worried about when moving to a brand new city was not knowing a soul who was I going to eat with. In high school, the stress of making sure you had someone to sit with during lunch was very crucial to your school year. However, in college, it is totally normal to enjoy that delicious dining hall food all on your own. Nobody is worried about what you are doing because they are focused on themselves. Don’t stress, and enjoy that meal. 

1. FRIENDS DON’T COME RIGHT AWAY 

The first thing you hear about college is finding your forever friends. You give yourself an expectation to find your best friends in the first ten minutes. However, making friends takes time. When you were younger you had years in one town to find your people. How do you expect yourself to find them the first week of college? Tips I have for those who are worried are to join clubs, sit next to someone in class, and be patient. You will find your people. 

1. KEEP YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE

In high school, all I remember hearing from my teachers is that college is so much harder and that no one will be there to hold your hand. The trick I learned about college classes is that if you keep yourself on track by writing down your assignments, and giving yourself time to go to the library or sit down and do your work,You will be okay. Each class has a different level of difficulty. Talk to your professors, learn about resources you have on campus, and pay attention during lectures. If you do these things you will stay on top of your classes. No one is going to come and tell you to finish something that is due. You have to keep yourself accountable and keep track of your work. 

1. HOMESICKNESS IS REAL 

This transition is strange, to say the least. When I was younger all I wanted to do was get out of my hometown. I wanted to explore a new environment, and while I am proud of my decision to come here this has still been hard. You are basically thrown into the deep end and hope you swim. All feelings are valid and you are not alone. Reach out to your support system, whether that be friends or family or someone special. There is someone in your life that wants to see you succeed and wants to be there for you. Another important thing to remember is that everyone else around you is feeling the same way. On social media, everyone is posting their best moments but no one is showing their worst. Everyone is struggling in some way because everyone’s experience is different. Give yourself time to understand what you need and do that for yourself. 

I am a freshman so I still have so much to learn, but I tell myself these things every day. Every day I feel better and I’m becoming more adjusted to this new environment. You will too. Be patient with yourself and let yourself get used to this new and exciting experience. 

Hi! I am Madison Boone and I'm from Charlotte North Carolina. I am currently a freshman and I am majoring in International Business with a minor in International Studies.