You Got The Interview, Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

As the holiday season is fast approaching, you might be wondering how you are going to afford all of the gifts.  Well here is some great news, stores are now hiring for the holidays!  Many stores are hiring for the fast paced world of retail.  Now before the job is in the bag, you have to snag an interview first.  Here are some cute and professional tips on how to dress for the interview.  With these tips you can “wow” the employer and join the retail workforce.

1. Skirts:  Wearing skirts might seem old fashioned, but they add a touch of professionalism that you can’t get with pants.  Skirts were part of the original business/power suit and they are making a comeback.  A great pencil skirt can give you the perfect boost of confidence to really impress the employer.  Just remember that skirt length is important; 2 inches below the knee is the average length.  Keep it classy, not trashy!

2. Tights:  Now wearing tights may not be your favorite thing in the world, but in the professional work setting they are usually required.  Here is some exciting news: there is a new spin on the old tradition; patterns.  They can really make you stand out in an interview and allow you to personalize your outfit!  However keep in mind this is an interview, so keep the pattern on the low-key side.

3. Shirts:  Ok ladies, nobody wants to see the “girls” upfront and personal!  Remember, you are applying for a job in the retail world, and you should dress a certain way.  When picking out a shirt for the interview, keep in mind the little voice in the back of your head saying “Would you wear that in front of grandma?”  If not, then it is highly suggested that you change.  Now this doesn’t mean you can’t wear something cute, just keep it appropriate.

4. Shoes:  I will be the first to admit that I love my high heels, but even I have to keep in mind the height of them when it comes to interviews.  When interviewing for a job you want to come off as professional as possible.  So this means the heel height plays an important role in this.  Keep the heels to about 3 inches; anything else is pushing it just a little bit.  Also try to wear closed toes shoes that help complete the look.  (Hint: If you are offered the job and accept it, keep in mind that you will be on your feet for a number of hours.  Some of the shoes that you might want to wear will begin to get painful after a while!).

5. Accessories:  Clink, clink, clink.  Your potential employer should not be able to hear you coming a mile down the road.  When you interview with them it is ok to accessorize, as long as you don’t overdo it.  This means that you don’t have a ring on every finger or bracelets from your wrist to elbow.  Keep it simple!  A bracelet and some earrings; a ring and a statement necklace.  Only wear pieces that complement the outfit.  Also a helpful hint: perfume is great in small doses, but don’t put too much on.  You want to be able to breathe in the room!

Hi my name is Kristen Skiera. I am a junior at Central Michigan University. I am majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Fashion Merchandising.