Studying?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Studying?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness

Why You Need to Work Less and Study More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Sure, this is probably easier said than done. Many college students are forced to work part-time or even full-time to pay for their schooling, bills, rent or all of these. Being a first-generation college student, I find it hard to balance my work life with my school life. It’s hard, but I’m trying. 

The past few weeks I’ve been drowning in schoolwork, internship work and trying to balance a part-time job. Every day I would tell myself, “You need the money, you can’t just take a day off.” So I would go to class, then work all night after my classes. Come home late at night, go to sleep and do it all over again. It gets exhausting. 

I would have barely any time to sleep a proper amount and I wouldn’t have time to complete the pile of homework that needed to be done. I’ve done this for years, and I kept telling myself that it was just a part of being an adult. I’ve finally realized that we need time to relax and focus on school work.

No matter how much money you think you “need”, it’s not worth your mental or emotional wellbeing. It’s not worth failing a class that you spent thousands of dollars on. You’re in college — college should be what you’re focusing on the most right now.

I’m not saying you should quit your job or anything, I’m just saying it’s okay to take a break from work or ask for fewer hours at work. Don’t feel bad or guilty for needing a break. We all need a little help sometimes — do it for yourself. 

Sara is an Integrative Public Relations Major at Central Michigan University. She hopes to work in a PR agency one day, managing social media for clients. When she's not reading yet another book from one of her three bookshelves, she can be found cuddling her cats, Luna and Selene.